My new Holga is far too good. Help, help, help...

Sam, you sound like a fine candidate for a quality folder. Smaller than a Holga (folded, it'll fit in the same pocket with the film), not much heavier, same eye-level viewfinder and similar ergonomics -- but lenses ranging from at least as good to vastly better, no light leaks (unless the bellows has holes), and overall smoother operation.

I'd suggest starting with a Speedex Jr. You shouldn't pay as much as $10 for one; you can probably get one for $5 plus shipping if you keep an eye on eBay for a while. The shutter can be cleaned in 15 minutes if you know what you're doing, or under an hour if you're figuring it out as you go along (as I did on my first one); the bellows is likely to be in much better condition than most Agfa/Ansco 6x6 folders (for whatever reason, the Jr. has leather, while the others have some shiny synthetic that cracks and flakes), and it's almost as simple as a Holga -- fixed focus, I and T shutter (I is about 1/25), and f/11 to f/32, just right for ISO 200 in daylight (you'll overexpose one stop in full sun, but that's not a big deal with negative films), though certainly comfortable with 100. Does a fine job with color, despite uncoated, non-achromat double meniscus lens. Has tripod socket and cable release socket for night shots.

The lens is a good bit better than the Holga, and anything more than about 8 feet away will be in within DOF even wide open. At f/32, it'll make images good enough to count the bricks in a chimney from half a block away, or support 8x12 prints from a 35 mm size crop. And did I mention this camera is probably $15 less than a new Holga? It looks older and cheaper even than a Holga. Nothing lost but the images still inside if someone steals it...

Sam, I believe there's a Holga 120GN available. That's a 120N (thus including bulb setting) with a glass lens (hence the G in the name). Have not seen the picture quality myself, but I'm supposing it would be better than a plastic lens.

Also, I figure you want to avoid 35mm rangefinders because of the smaller negatives... What about using a $10 dollar Lubitel or so, and instead of looking at the glass, just use the sports finder... makes for an extra challenge! ;)