Cambo Master PC for field work?

rich815

Never done LF but am intrigued and will likely do so soon. I have

been offered by a friend a Cambo Master PC that he has used in

strictly in his studio. It's in MINT condition and seems like it

can do anything. From some research it seems this is Cambo's top of

the line. Can I use this for field work without much trouble? (He's

including a nice rugged case that hold it fine). I'd use it for

landscape but not backpacking landscape, if you know what I mean.

He's also offering me two Caltar lenses, a 135 and 210. Are Caltar

lenses decent performers?

Ron, it is a vry solid and capable rail camera. It would be far from my first choice for fied

work for a number of reasons: 1)time to setup, 2) weight, 3) weight, 4) weight ... did I

mention weight? You are not gonna want to lug it very far from the car nor will you be

able too. OTOH, yup it will work just fine and as a comparison, there was a chap at one of

our recent workshops with a similar camera ....he had everything set up in a wheelaround

hard case and did fine.

As for Caltar lenses, generally speak,yes they are good lenses they are eitehr rebranded

Ilex, Kowa, Schneider or Rodenstockdepending onthe vintge. If you can tell us the full

details on each lens we can tell you more.

"...Can I use this for field work without much trouble?"

If you shoot no more than 10 feet away from your car, you should be fine ;-)

If you need to walk much further than that, be aware that this camera weighs 16 pounds without lens or accessories. Add to that the combined weight and bulk of the case, lens(es), film holders, dark cloth, magnifier, tripod head, tripod, etc, etc.

I've used my 45NX in the field a few times, but only with an assistant (wife) to help carry everthing. I was never able to cover much ground.

Still don't know how the old-timers managed with all that heavy and bulky equipment. Pack mules maybe?

Can't comment specifically on the Caltars, but I'm pretty certain they are Calumet labels for otherwise good quality name-brand lenses.

Richard: a Cambo SCX was my first LF camera: not as nice as a Cambo Master PC but

pretty much as heavy. I still have it but am no longer physically capable of carrying it into

the field. It was and is a great camera, but I now use a Toyo 45AX when I go outdoors: it's

compact, lightweight and has enough movements for the type of photography I do these

days. The Toyo is also more rugged than a "woody" and I don't worry as much when I get

caught in a rainstorm. The modern Caltar lenses are usually made by Rodenstock and I

have found them to be very sharp with good contrast.

Thanks all for your answers and advice. Sounds to me like although a nice camera it might be a bit heavy to use and carry around. That said, any good, relatively inexpensive yet good quality field cameras anyone would recommend? Thanks again.

Hi Richard,

I use that camera and it's my first LF gear. It's a bulky equipment but I got a two whealed cart/trolley (what do you call it, in english?) for it so I don't have to carry it, at least when I'm on resonably flat ground.

Be aware that you'd need a sturdy tripod as wind on the bellows may easily cause vibrations. I used a Manfrotto 055 pro b (I guess that's bogen in the us) which barely worked in calm wheather, but upgraded to a Berlebach Uni 24 (which is huge).

Before I got the larger tripod I was tempted by lighter LF gear, but I figured that if I was to carry 10-15 filmholders, a rollfilm back, a filterset, a couple of lenses (three of them), bag bellows, a dark cloth etc, then I needed a large box anyway.

With my Cambo Master PC I've been climbing wet rocks in the Stockholm archipelago (see photo below), but you probably have to be a little bit machocistic to do that. I try to see it as if I can save some money and cary my camera gear instead of going to the gym :-).

I had some trouble with my camera in subzero temperatures (celsius) as the lubricant in the gears got really thick which made the gears stick (I bought the camera used so it may not be original).

Otherwize it's great with plenty of movements and the gears on all of them (except base tilt) gives high precision.

/Richard<div>00G0uC-29373684.jpg.c85deb4947a6cd57bec0af5b2b61e8f9.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...

Richard,

Did you decide on a camera? I've had a Master PC for about a year, and its weight and bulk are small (ahem) sacrifices in return for the precise movements. Hiking is out of the question, but as long as I can get my car to within 100 yards of whatever I'm shooting there's no problem. I use the suitcase-style Cambo case, and another case of the same size to hold film, back, dark cloth, etc. The tripod goes on my back.