Photography ban on PATH, MTA?

"But I have never, in my 30 some years of life in the United States, been treated by a police officer in that manner. Not only is the point stupid, but the manner in which it was made was basically arbitrary, and proudly arbitrary. I am a cop. I have a gun. You don't, so there. The last time a cop took that attitude with me was in Jugoslavia. I didn't expect that here."

Are you kidding me? Have you just not encountered a cop in 30 years?

Aggressive police behavior was a problem in the U.S. LONG before 9/11. I don't know if they're trained to have the attitudes they have, or if it's just a matter of 'power corrupts', or what. But I have yet to meet a police officer I respected. And no, I'm not some criminal who hates cops because I got caught. My 'rap sheet' consists of one speeding ticket and two parking tickets. But I've observed cops on a number of occasions and generally speaking their behavior and power trips leave me feeling sick. I don't know how minorities stand it. I've never really even had a confrontation with a cop myself, and I'm already bitter, angry, and distrustful towards law enforcement just based on what I've seen.

And I don't want to hear that their jobs are tough, or that they're the 'thin blue line', or that they are the ones who will help me in a disaster. None of that excuses the attitudes, the strong arm tactics, the disrespect towards citizens who pay their checks, etc. None of it.

This is less a matter of photographer's civil rights and more a matter of police aggression. Our rights haven't changed much, and AFAIK courts are still respecting our rights. It's police ignorance and behavior that is the issue.

Not sure what to tell the original poster. I firmly believe a complaint will land in someone's waste basket. Being confrontational on the scene will likely get you beat senseless or killed. A protest might work if there's media attention so you don't get beat senseless or killed. The best bet is to have enough money to sue the department silly. Short of that....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic