Telephoto non IS lenses

nigel_keene

Just wondered people opinions on the value of IS on the big telephoto lenses.

There seems to be a few second hand options around for both of these lenses,

but mostly the non IS versions. I can see that non IS on say the 400 could be

a big deal, but is it so important on a 600 that one assumes would mostly be

used supported?

I don't own any super long lenses, so I am sure you will get more informed opinions than me, but my impression is that IS is more useful the longer the lens is. Even if a 600 is on a good tripod, it is not going to be free of vibration, and beign able to shoot at 1/30 - 1/60 is going to be much more versatile than staying at 1/250 plus.

Also many sports shooters might shoot with a 600 on a monopod, where IS would be invaluable.

Remember the 1/shutter rule?

That means that for a 17-55mm lens, your shutter speed should be in the 17-55 region. (maybe multiply by 1.6 on a cropped sensor)

For the 400/5.6, you want the shutter in the 1/500 region (definately multiply by 1.6 because of the lens weight AND a cropped sensor).

For me, Image stabilization in the 17-55 is almost a waste of time. Image stabilization on a 400 would be mandatory.

Your milage may vary.

After almost a year with the 70-300 IS (on a 1.6 crop camera), here is my take- It depends.

If you are shooting sports, where you want a fast shutter speed anyway, it is less crucial. Anything else that requires a slower shutter and it is indispensable. Also note that Canon reccommends that you turn the IS off when shooting from a tripod or monopod- photographers have reported quirky results if it is left on in that situation.

The recent image stabilization is supposed to detect tripods. I have not heard that you should not use IS on a monopod. Even on fairly stable tripods you can see some swimming through very long lenses.

I was using my 300/4 IS + 1.4x TC on a 1.6x crop factor camera to shoot grasses blowing in the wind. The wind was also causing motion in the camera which IS compensated for.

I used to work with a 600mm/f4 for many years (for wildlife/birds) and I adored that lens, even without IS. Now, I use a 500mm/f4 IS, but I can't say that the number of sharp pictures would be significantly higher. I still need a sturdy tripod and motion blur due to the animals movements is still a greater issue than camera shake. My main reason to trade the 600mm for the 500mm was not IS, but weight and size.

So, IS is nice, but it ain't solving all of our problems. If you can get your hand on a good Canon L telephoto lens without IS for a good price, just go for it.

Regards

Aender

I bought a 24-105 at the end of last year, and it's my first IS lens. My experience with it has informed me that for any future lens purchase I make, if Canon has an IS version in the focal length I want, that's what I'm buying.

No, IS isn't a cure for every problem, but it certainly comes in handy in more situations than I would have imagined. Especially useful (to me) for shooting at lower shutter speeds and low ISO in available light (inanimate objects).

I know that you're asking about longer focal lengths, but as noted above, the longer the focal length, the more useful IS becomes.

<p>Canon says IS should be turned off on a <em>tripod</em>, not a <em>monopod</em>, and even at that, only for lenses which don't include tripod detection. <a href="http://www.cps.canon-europe.com/kb/detail.jsp?faqId=1130" target="_blank">The IS superteles can detect when they're on a sturdy tripod and they adjust IS operation to counteract mirror vibrations in that case</a>.</p>

<p>The issue with IS and tripods, as discussed in the above article, is that the IS system does not operate properly if it is unable to detect any motion at all. If it can detect motion, it's OK. That should make it clear why IS works beautifully on a monopod.</p>

<p>I don't use any of the big glass; the longest lens I've owned was the 300/4L IS USM. The reviews I've seen of the IS superteles, written by people who had experience using non-IS superteles, suggest that IS is indeed valuable on such a long lens, even on a good tripod. And in some cases, even a sturdy tripod needs help, such as on a windy day or if you're shooting from an unstable platform.</p>

IS is exceptionally useful on those telephoto lenses that you might wield handheld. I would not put the 600/4 in that category. I know of several photographers who switched to the 500/4 due to the difficulty of carrying the 600/4 from the car to the shooting location ! The lack of IS would not be a deal breaker for me.

<P>I use the Canon 600mm f4 IS (often with extenders) for wildlife work, and I can assure you that even when mounted on a sturdy tripod (Gitzo 1548 CF) with a solid head, there is still movement/vibration which needs the help of IS. This is if course magnified when using the 1.4x or 2x extenders.</P>

<P>Use the 600mm with a 2x on a 30D and you're looking at a FOV equivalent to about 2000mm. You need all the help you can get holding that steady on a windy cliff top!</P>

<P>If you have the chance of a cheap non-IS model I certainly wouldn't disregard it, after all many superb photographers got by just fine before IS, and good long lens technique is probably more important overall.</P>

<P>Be aware that the 600mm is a very different lens to anything you will have used before. I'm a strong bloke, but I limit my trips to about 2 miles out from the car when using this beast, it is big and heavy and needs a big, heavy tripod as well. It's a real commitment to use, but it gets shots you'd never get without it, and I love it.</P>

<P>Cheers,<br>Matt<br><a href="http://www.nature-photos.biz" target="_blank">nature-photos.biz</a><div>00HWJb-31522484.jpg.028a79ca8748fa3696ba05701c36b1d2.jpg</div>

Hi

I normaly use the 500mm IS USM f/4 and after I sold my 400mmDO IS I bought a 400mm 5.6. I was thinking it could be difficult to shoot 400mm 5.6 without any IS but it works in the real world.

The 400mm 5.6 is a great lens for the money.

I use my 400mm 5.6 mostly handhold or on a beanbag

My 400mm 5.6 testgallery

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/400mm_f56_testgallery

Best regards from Sweden

Omar Br䮮str�m

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom