17-35mm or 17-55mm

coolmingli

Unless you need to use this wide-angle zoom on a film body also, otherwise, I wonder why you even consider getting the 17-35mm/f2.8. I have both of those lenses; I got the 17-35 a few years ago for my film bodies and added the 17-55 DX last year for my DSLR. See the following thread from last October for futher discussion on this topic:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009jVw

I bought a 17-55mm for my d70 but I bought it at a point in my life (3 months ago) where I

thought I wasn't going to be shooting much if any film. Now that my d70 is in the shop, I've

been shooting film and remembering what I liked about it. I really should have gotten a

17-35 because right now I have a $1200 piece of glass that's useless until I get my d70 back.

If digital is main body get the DX lens.

I have a 18-35 and its reach sucks.

I think inevitably you need both a DX lens and a FF lens for digital and the other for film. just makes sense.

in the middle thou, the 35-70/2.8 is one sweet lens. a shame no equivalent with DX.

It depends on what you shoot. If you are talking about portraits, the 28-70mm/f2.8 can work really well on a DSLR. My view is that it is an event lens on film bodies; i.e. wide to short tele. On a DSLR, 28mm is simply not very wide, especially indoors when you don't have sufficient room to move around. The 17-55mm/f2.8 DX is essentially the digital equivalent of the 28-70 for film and it is great for weddings, etc.

I already had the 17-35 and 28-70 from a few years ago. I added the 17-55 last year mainly for event photography.