Small quiz. How was this photo made ?

manel_soria

That's what the film would see if you set the shutter speed faster than the X synch speed. If X-synch is 1/60, and you set the shutter speed to 1/125, then only 1/2 of the frame is uncovered by the time the flash goes off, as the second shutter curtain has already travelled half-way across.

I agree with Pierre. Take X synch cord, have it come around the camera to a flash unit which illuminates the Nikon F. Set the F's shutter speed to 1/125. Second camera which takes the image is set on B. You have the entire setup in a dark room. Now, fire second camera (B). Fire the Nikon F with your finger. Flash goes off when the shutter is at the half-way mark, as stated earlier, to make the exposure. Close the second camera's shutter. Turn on the room lights. Develop the film, scan and post on photo.net.

<I>Of course it was a flash involved.. but how ?</I><P>

The flash used to take the photo was triggered by the camaera in the photo. The flash was connected to the F with a pc cord (just out of the frame to the left) and held at the location of the camera that took the photo. The camera that took the shot was probably used open-shutter (on "B" setting) in a dark room.<P>

After the set up was composed, the lights went out, the camera with the film was opened via the "B" setting, the person pressed the shutter on the F to a non-sync'ed speed (so that some of the shutter was still in the shot), and the flash fired by the "F" exposed the film in the second camera. After this, the taking camera's shutter was closed and the lights came back on.

Ok, that was it.

Except that a second flash was needed to illuminate the subject being "photographed" by the F body. The light off is not really necessary.

I hope it was at least a bit interesting...

This was the same idea but with a FM2 and a nicer "subject"

http://www.photo.net/photo/3099212

Next question: This is possible only because Nikon F can be used beyond synchro speed, say at 1/125. This is not the case of F3, that is so clever that refuses to shoot faster than 1/80 with a flash attached. Would it be possible to catch the travelling shutter of F3??

The answer (my answer) at the end of August.. I'm going out of civilisation for three weeks (!)

<I>...F3, that is so clever that refuses to shoot faster than 1/80 with a flash attached. Would it be possible to catch the travelling shutter of F3?? </I><P>

Sure, just use a non-dedicated flash with the PC connection. The shutter does not even know the flash is there when it is not "talking" to the camera via the dedication terminal contacts.

<I>No, that is what I thought, but it knows it, even using the sync wire ! </I><P>

Boy do I feel stupid! It is not the flash, it is the open back. I forgot that other half of the equation. Yes, you are right, the F3 reverts to 1/80th when the back is open, and for the first few frames to keep the action quick when loading film in the dark.

"Except that a second flash was needed to illuminate the subject being "photographed" by

the F body. The light off is not really necessary."

A second flash is not needed. It isn't like what you see through the open film gate in the

Nikon being photographed is exactly fully lit.

here is one way to do it Set Camera ( A) being photographed on a tripod and choose a

shutter speed shorter than the flash sync for that camera.

Connect sync cord to A and to flash.

Set up camera (B) that will take the photo.

Set B to bulb or any long exposure setting.

turn off lights in room. push shutter release on B andthen push shutter release on camera

A, openign that camera's shutter and firing the light.

Hey Manel,

Did you post this question somewhere elso too, or did I respond to it in this

forum and never hit the send button?

My point was, I used to do this at weddings and events when lots of other

people are taking pictures. I open to bulb or something kinda longish, at f8 or

so, focused on my subjects and wait for someone elses flash to go off. It's a

lot of fun, you are using someone elses timing but your own framing, and who

knows where the light is going to come from.

I've only done it with film, I imagine digital will make it much easier. Althought

film has a bit more latitude for the erratic exposures.