Which Model Yachica TLR should I look for?

tim_drake

They all are good enough in optical quality,amazing. I did do a nostalgia report for a national magazine, Kamera, of Rolleiflex 2,8 F, GX and MX-EVS, Rolleicord V and Vb, Yashica C and 124 G. For my surprice optical quality of every camera was rather high. Although easy to quess that more expensive is better, but the differences are at least rather limited. The biggest difference is in mechanical quality and ergonomy. Maybe in cheaper products (Yashica etc.) quality deviations can be more significant?

Kerkko K.

"take into acount equipment that old should be CLA'd which also cost money"

This gets said all the time around here and in forty years (and dozens of cameras) I've never seen any evidence to support it. Buy the camera you want and put some film through it. Only get it worked on in the unlikely instance that there's something wrong.

I don't believe in routine CLA. If nothing is getting sluggish, why mess with it? A CLA is not a benign process. Leatherette has to be pulled up, and parts that have worn in over the decades get disturbed. There is risk of damage to parts that can't be replaced. I don't hesitate to service whatever needs service, but you can be well served by enough disipline and confidence not to jump in when it isn't called for. As for the models, I have a D with the Yashikor lenses, and used to have a MAT-124 with the Yashinons. There is no question in my mind that the Yashinon is a far better lens. If you came across a good deal on a MAT-124 (non-G), it's the best looking of the bunch, has a better wind quality than the later models, and will be newer than most of the Ds you'll find. Ignore the meter, though it can work quite well if it works at all. Note that there is no real size or weight difference between any of the models. Outside the Yashica line, the Minolta Autocords seem to have slightly superior lenses and a bit better build quality.

Loads of thank to everybody for the replies. I looked at the "D"s on eBay and noticed that they don't have a B setting on the shutter nor threads to screw in a cable release. Something I need for night photography. So a metered model is probably my best choice. I already have a Minolta Autocord, Ciro Flex, and a Rolleicord Vb and just wanted to add a Yashica to my TLR testing (playing) ring. The autocord is a dream, love it. I just got the Ciro and the Rollie off of EBay and have only ran one roll of Velvia though each. The real stunner was the 4 element Raptar lens on the Ciro. With an 8x Mamiya loupe it appears noticeably sharper than the Vb and may be equal to the Autocord. That is with neither the Ciro or Vb having a CLA. So just playing around, everybody have a great holiday weekend and burn loads of film. Sincerely, Tim Drake

A good condition Yashica Mat 124G can easily be found for less than $US 300. It's <strike>pretty</strike> extremely difficult to find a similar condition Rolleiflex 3.5F for less than $US 650.<p>

If you only want to muck around and try out a TLR, then the choice is pretty obvious, no?