How are 2006 bookings looking?

I think 2006 will be much better..in our market. We will have to produce more digital weddings and they are considerably more expensive than our film coverages. Just trying to educate the public with the differnces ( calibration >> time in PS, etc)is the real problem with our market. This year was the worst in 25 years with bookings...

I agree about the last minute crowd this year.. it's crazy! I just got a call for a Chicago

wedding next month! She mentioned family illness. I have a few 2006 requests coming

in, but unfortunately I have to tell them there's a chance I might not be here and they may

end up with someone other than me shooting their wedding. That doesn't give a bride

much confidence, so I've only had one secure a date. My husband is finishing his

doctorate and there's a pretty good chance we'll be moving out of state.. possibly NY. It's

hard to build a business when you don't know where you're going to be in a year, you

know? Fortunately, I can do my jobs anywhere.

Anne I feel for you as I am in the same boat! I can't start booking weddings for the following summer until September or October because my husband is an athlete and we never know where we will be! The only good thing about being on the move is that I get to find out which areas have a hot market for wedding photography and which don't!

Very well, so far. I've been advertising quite a bit. 2005 was looking slow until we began advertising a few months ago, now we've got a slow but steady stream of late 2005 and 2006 bookings. My target for 2006 is 40 weddings, but my top end goal is 50 weddings. I'm pretty sure I'll hit at least the 40 wedding mark. Right now we're on target to shoot 40 with the current advertising venues we're using, but we're going to advertise using two additional venues and we're getting a lot of referrals from our commercial clients.

When I say our max goal is 50 weddings, that doesn't mean we'll take any old wedding we can get. We're not negotiating on prices anymore, and our package prices are going up. So we are actually turning away some weddings where the budget is not enough to cover our package prices. We may consider hiring on an associate shooter to cover the smaller budget weddings or weddings where we are double booked. Just have to find a shooter that knows what they are doing and be confident they can do it consistently.