Anyone else going to the Jock Sturges Workshop????

mb81

Is anyone else going to the Jock Sturges Workshop in November? The

workshop is in San Miguel, Mexico.

I am asking just so I can chat with others that may be going so I can

know a few people before I even get there. Plus, they say right now

that I am the only person that will be shooing 8x10, I hope someone

else will at least be shooing large format!!!!

Not a fan of Sturges work perhaps? It is creepy because?

<p>

So, I've done quite a few landscape workshops where I was shooting a 4x5 or 8x10 and

most everyone else was shooting digital or 35mm/medium format film. It is truly a speed

mismatch in the bulk handling of participants to be the only person there with a view

camera. I mean, I shot digital too but I can only liken this to something like being with a

bunch of people with Uzi's and you have god knows. By the time you get setup for a

couple shots, everyone else is ready to go for breakfast or the next place. And this

involves shooting things that don't move.

<p>

I was in a figure workshop with Tenneson this summer and I was shooting a 4x5 Graflex

Super Speed (and a Canon 1Ds Mark II and a Holga). The Graflex is fast to setup. I would

get a model for a 20 minute window as we worked in groups of 3. Everyone else shot

primarily digital, remainder 35mm SLR except one person with medium format. I got

stressed out when using the Graflex as setting up required time (wasn't shooting

handheld) and everyone else was jumping around and changing things or behind or

whatever - but shooting rapidly.

<p>

Anyway, you may find yourself in for some frustration?

So <a href="http://www.sfworkshop.com/photo/sanmiguel/05sturgessm.cfm">this is the

workshop</a>. Santa Fe Workshops does some quality classes - maybe you can give a

small trip report when you get back? (I'm going out to Santa Fe next week for a workshop

with Katrin Eismann to hone my Photoshop compositing skills).

<p>

I read the description. Will there even be 4x5 users there? Did you see they mentioned

only Polaroid for 4x5 and C-41 B+W processing for other film sizes? (I may be

misunderstanding the class description - on the other hand they welcome all

formats). The class sounds

classically structured in that you review the previous days work in morning critique

sessions the following day - seems an important part of the participation (it was the same

in Tenneson's class). Are you bringing 8x10 Polaroid and a processor with you to the

workshop, or planning on developing and contact printing your work in the hotel room at

night (stranger things have been done:-)? You very much might want to consider bringing

a second camera with you to sketch with in addition to the 8x10 if you won't have Polaroid

capability to allow you to participate in review sessions.

<p>

Sorry for all the babbling. Do let me know how the workshop goes and how Sturges is as

an

instructor.

<p>

On the other hand, you *might* be able to find a darkroom to use in San Miguel if you're

so inclined - ask the Santa Fe staff...

I second the suggestion to make sure of what films they can process overnight. If you don't get the benefit of the instructor's critiques each day you miss a lot of the workshop's value. When I attended a Sante Fe workshop (in Sante Fe) a few years ago all they could do overnight was slide film and all I brought was black and white negative film (the promotional materials said all types of film were welcome, which they were, they just didn't get around to mentioning that if you wanted critiques you had to use slide film). I was able to buy some slide film and get a crash course on exposing it but I wouldn't have attended the workshop if I had known of that limitation in advance. I've attended a lot of workshops, Sante Fe was my least favorite by a wide margin.

I did a lot of research before even joining the workshop. I mean, If I was going to study under a master of the view camera, I wanted to use one of my own, if you know what I mean. For some time I planned on taking my Toyo 4x5 and they are giving any 4x5 users Type 55 film, so thats wonderful for critiques, but for a Sturges Workshop, I feel I just HAVE to use my 8x10.

Soooooo..... I may just end up taking both of them. But then I have the problem of not only lugging around my 8x10, but having to set up my 4x5 for polaroids before I shoot the 8x10.

I suppose I could take my Polaroid processor, but I really dont feel like spending so much money on a lot of 8x10 polaroid film, that stuff gets so expensive.

Well, im sure I will figure something out, maybe my Mamiya with some

C41 film for critiques, then the 8x10 for the "final" shots to take home and develop.

I will be happy to give all Sturges fans a huge update when I return. And, again, if anyone else is going, let me know. Thanks

So, after reading this, I'm leaning to your Mamiya for proofs (make sure they can overnite develop 120 CN film:-) and critiques and the 8x10 for stuff you take home to develop as your finals.

<p>

Using a 4x5 for proofing 8x10's sound like a lot of pain for little gain.

<p>

I "sketch" a lot when I'm trying something new with my Canon 1Ds Mark II - experimenting with light and ideas. When I start getting something I like I then go to 4x5 (sometimes in same session, sometimes in second shoot if I want to print out some things and consider them). Sketching with the Mamiya would give you a lot more freedom to experiment (and even handhold to move and frame quick) and use to proof your finals...

<p>

So much for my advice:-)

I think the idea of taking two cameras to make "workshop shots" and "keepers" is a big mistake. You are there to learn, make mistake, run lots of film through the camera. Maybe you will make a wonderful shot or two, but probably not - that isn't the point of such a workshop.

By doing that yopu will probably lose the benefits of much of the workshop, and in a way get the worst of both worlds.

Take what you know can be processed and fits with the workshop programme. Make the keepers later.

Most workshops should let you contact the instructor to discuss these kinds of questions. Jock's email is around if they don't (and in which case the workshops isn't doing its job)

Thanks for the input Mark. I can understand where you are coming from. I really really want to shoot with my 8x10, mainly because that is what the teacher shoots, I feel I will gain more by using this camera. Who knows, I guess I will just have to ponder this for a bit.

I called the workshop and they supplied me with Jock's Email and Number. So, as you said, I think he would be the best person to talk to about the situation.

Thanks.

By the way, Johnathan and Paul..... I bet you would not make comments like those if we were talking about Edward Weston, or Imogen Cunningham whould you?

Plus, do you honestly think that Jock would have us photograph kids at this workshop? Thats just plain stupid.