Hasselblad 500CM and Fuji G690

fc.moreira

I am considering to buy a Hassel 500CM with a T* Planar. On the other

hand, the 6X9 format is something that really attracts me. Can someone

tell me if this Fuji equipment with its 100mm lens woul be able to

produce the same sharpness and resolution as a Planar T* could do?

Tks

Fernando.

I own a G690BL with 100mm, 50mm and 180mm lenses, and also a Rolleiflex SL66 with a Planar 80mm, which I bought especially to do macro shots. Both Fujinon and Zeiss optics are excellent. The old Fuji lenses are single coated and maybe you'll have to be a little careful to avoid flare, but they are extremely sharp. And since there is no mirror, the camera is not so tripod-dependent, which generally is why sometimes one gets disappointed with images taken with a Hasselblad or similar camera when the conditions are not ideal (hand-holding at too slow speeds, tripod not strong enough, etc.).

For general photography, landscapes, and candids, I'd take the Fuji. Besides, you could get a body and a whole kit of lenses for the same price of a basic Hassy kit with one lens. For macro and portraits, it's another story. Perhaps you should try this link: http://www.lallement.com/pictures/

Good luck,

Fernando

Fernando,

Here another indirect answer:

On Dante Stella's website this very expert on G690 concludes:

"Compared to other 6x9 items: After doing some negative comparisons through a loupe, I have come to the conclusion that the 100/3.5 Fujinon blows the doors off the any of the Super Ikonta Cs, and the Soviet clones. It's not hard to imagine why: keeping 6x9 folders in proper alignment is not easy, and most of them had front-cell focusing lenses, which did not help much. In theory, a 100/3.5 Graflex XL Tessar should be close, but the problem in that system (and my Century Graphic, which had it) is that the rollfilm backs have a really hard time keeping 120 film flat. And my Singer-Graflex RH-8 back with the pinch rollers was more of a 6x7 (55x78mm). In terms of the ease of handling, nothing in the 6x9 world matches the Fujis."

you find his report at http://dantestella.com/technical/g690bl.html

As to the availability of the camera there have never been more offered at ebay than now. Typically it adds up to some 50 G690 last year and another 50 GSW690*

I could provide more to all details on G690s sold on ebay in exchange for peer exchange of creative ideas / commenting G690. just mail me.

I learned that there are several experts available who do repair and maintainance - even take lenses apart and clean them etc.

Walter from Vienna, Austria (2 G690; wa@HiTec.at)

I have both a GSW690iii (65mm lens), and a 500CM with 50/80/250 lenses. I have had great results with both but if I had to choose only one it would be the Hasselblad, simply because my very best pictures have been taken with it. Resolution is comparable, but there is something "punchier" about the Hasselblad pictures. Hard to explain, and doubtless a very subjective response.

I owned both and sold the GW and GSW Fuji because of their limitations. IMO, if quality of a landscape shaped image is all that is required, using a 90mm or 65mm lens, then the Fuji wins hands down. The Fuji lens is excellent, but the 6x9 format gives a formidable advantage that the Hasselblad struggles to keep pace with.

The Hasselblad might have better resolution and tonal rendering, but a 6x4.5 section of the film is limited. But my photography isn't just about a single 2:3 image and I kept the Hasselblads for their superb flexibility.

At times, I found myself carrying the GW and GSW, yet having the wrong film in the camera of choice, or wanting a longer or shorter lens. I was frequently loaded with left over film from the previous day out and occasionally lost track of what film was in there. All too confusing, so I auctioned them.

The Hasselblad, with multiple backs and lenses, provides for simpler choices. Once the body is on a tripod you can go from film to film and back again on a frame by frame basis and similarly with lenses, and filters. Much more fluent with the 'blad.

If you want/need to use just one lens and one film the Fuji is a better buy for you.