Leica III problem

disneyry

I'm having trouble rewinding the film in a Leica III. It's the first

roll of film that I have run through it, wondering if it still works.

I've raised the rewinding knob, but it doesn't want to turn and since

I'm using bulk-loaded film, I don't want to tear it free from the

spool. Thanks.

Rob has probably hit on your problem, but if it doesn't work, take the camera into a darkroom or changing bag and remove the film casette and takeup knob together, (untensioning the film just a little so it can slip past the sprockets), and rewind into the cassette.

From what I understand, and what I've tried:

Turn the lever near the shutter release from A to R.

Pull up the film rewind knob on the left (when holding the camera like I was taking a picture) and turn it in the direction of the arrow.

This last part is where I am stuck. There is a lot of tension on the film rewind knob and I don't want to strip the film off of the spool.

I've already though of unloading it in the darkroom, but this would be very inconvenient in the long-run.

Is there a step that I'm missing? Any ideas or suggestions short of a good CLA? Thanks.

I did finally strip the film off of the spool. Now I'm more worried about doing this in the future. I don't want to only be able to shoot one roll through it per outing.

I'm trying to avoid a CLA in the near future if I can, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I suggest that you "waste" a short piece of film and try it in the camera in daylight to see if the advance/rewind lever is doing its thing in releasing the sprockets. Shouldn't cost much since you're bulk loading. Good Luck.

After you get the film out, hold the open camera over a piece of white paper (so you can see any result) and whack it a few times with your palm (it's tougher than you are, don't worry)...you may dislodge loose film chips that have resulted from your jam...or from a previous user's jam.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I got it to rewind, I believe that I just had too much film rolled into the cassette. It's been a while so I don't really know how much. I've since shot a couple of more rolls with no problems. I'm looking forward to getting into the darkroom and seeing what comes out.