Question about the BG-E2 "recall"

caesar

I have a BG-E2 that is in the serial number range that is affected

by the battery problem Canon announced a repair program for a month

or so ago. However, I haven't had any problems with my battery grip

exhibiting the symptoms described. So, my question is, is this a

problem that's immediately obvious (happens all the time with

affected units), or is this something that's intermittant enought

that it wouldn't necessarily be obvious that mine was affected?

Have I just been lucky so far, or is my BG-E2 ok? I'd prefer not

having to do without it for however long it'll take Canon to fix

it...

Looking at the Canon website ...they show units with serial numbers under about 1000000 to be the problem units....they will change out the battery holder for free. The new ones have a different design and gold contacts....

It may be worth your time to have this done now rather than wait until the problem occurs.....Sounds like a viable and important update..

good luck

I would say, if it ain't broke... I have heard that some of the problems depend on the fit between the camera and grip...but I don't know if that's for real or not. However, I would be very unhappy if there was no problem, sent it in and when it returned, started having problems. I believe the problems are obvious, not intermittent.

I also have the BG-E2 and discover that if you put only one battery in the right section of the grip (only one battery at the time)YOU MAY HAVE THE PROBLEM DESCRIBED BY CANON. I bought mine in Canada and had to return it. I did it using the same fully charged battery once in the left section of the grip (it was working fine) and then in the right section (after a few shots, I got the message "battery empty" despite the fact it was the same battery.I'm waiting for the repair or replacement.