kymtman

I had received some Ektachrome 100 in a trade and shot a couple of

sheets (4x5) to see if they would yet be stable and found that around

the edges they were discolored. Other than that the pack that was

opened seemed to do fairly well. The Expiration date was 1997, 9 years

past due date. The guy that sold to me said it was always cold storage

as I have kept it.

Very interesting.

To be certain, shoot a frame of an evenly lit out-of-focus subject, a sheet of paper. Then overexpose another of the same. Have it processed. This to make sure it wasn't a processing error or possibly a light leak in the film holder or stray light when loading.

I have a separate question - is there any chance that the electromagnetism from a deep-freeze motor will fog film if placed too close? Some of the small freezers have the motor in an expression that goes right into the storage area. My wife and I are going to look at them next week.

I have Provia in a bulk roll that expired in 1994, kept cold.

I've had excellent results with it. Almost all of my Ektachrome is expired, though only by a few years. It still gives me excellent results.

So long as you keep it cold, it should be good for a very long time. As mentioned, I would check your camera. I'm surprised that you have any discoloration with your film.

I read in a Kodak flyer not to rely on cold storage too much:

While storage in a refrigerator or freezer can be highly

beneficial, you should not rely on it to extend film life

beyond the �Develop Before� date. This is especially

important with high-speed films, which can be fogged by

cosmic and gamma radiation that is naturally present all

around us. Neither cooling nor lead-foil bags will prevent

this effect. (Storage and Care of

KODAK Photographic Materials E-30.)

Nevertheless, I have used "expired" materials quite a bit when I am not worried about irreplaceable images -- for testing, trying out new ideas, learning the tech aspects of large format etc. My worst failure was with Kodak high speed tungsten film -- not useful at all after a few years. Less of a problem was Fuji Velvia from 2001 -- it has a decided pink cast (which when you look through a green filter is completely corrected.) The bottom line is that the film is cheap compared to travel costs, time expended, missing a one-time only event, etc. so that I would just not use old stuff if a shoot was important.

Oh, and another thing, Kodak in the FAQ area doesn't even recommend the freezer for film storage (although the guide to film storage does say lower temps are beneficial -- I guess its not really inconsistent...)

Here is another quote:

Should I store film in the freezer?

Answer: Answer last updated:11-18-05

Storing film in the freezer is not recommended. While it may slow the natural aging process of the film emulsion, it won't necessarily increase the useful life. Depending on the film's ISO rating, ambient radiation can deteriorate film and that is not lessened by freezing. It is also possible that odors/fumes from food stored in the same refrigerator or freezer will contaminate the film, or vice versa.

If you do store film in your freezer, leave the entire package unopened. The plastic film can helps protect the film from moisture damage, and the outer cardboard packaging provides valuable information that you will need when you are ready to use the film. It's a good idea to place the unopened film package inside a plastic bag for additional protection, and keep it away from foods.

When removing from the freezer, do not open the sealed film package until the film has reached room temperature (about 90 minutes). If you open the moisture-resistant plastic can too soon, condensation could form on the film surface and result in spots on your pictures.

That last part about moisture is an important caution I think.