Need back-up Body

yefimovich_ilia

I use Nikon D200 and F100 as back-up but know i need Digital Back-up.And i dont

know ehat to take:( i though of D50 but i don't like that D50 workes with SD and

not CF:(:( and also i thought of taking Fuji s3 pro but it very very slow and

expensive(but it closes to Film cameras)....D100 is to old i think...Maybe

D70s?! or to wait to the new nikon(9 of august)??

P.S:

The D2h and D2x are very very expensive in israel:(:(

IMO, A back up should be as close to, if not exactly the same as your primary. If your primary is a D200, then IMO your backup should also be a D200. Anything else would be less a "back up" but rather more of a "second body."

Ilia, apparently you are quite familiar with the main pros and cons among Nikon DSLRs. So what exactly is your question?

As many people have pointed out, the best "back up" camera is an identical one. In other words, if your budget permits, buy another D200, provided that you are happy with it. Otherwise, wait a couple of weeks until August 9 and see what this new DSLR is all about.

Ilia here is my solution: I just upgraded to a D200 from 2 D70. I will keep 1 D70 and sell one D70. The D70 goes well together with a D200 because it give good quality images that are not as good as from the D200 but not "worlds apart". It is lighter and cheep. As others said above it is not a "backup" but an excellent 2nd camera.

I think this is probably the worst thing about owning a DSLR, technology obsolescence. Imagine a film camera restricted only to Velvia 50 film, and you'll need another camera for the new Velvia 100. How about wait until the D200 gets replaced, that way, you can get a D200 on the cheap. If you stay with the F100 in the short run, what you take on film is at least as good as the D200, and way better than D50, D70 etc.

There are two ways to ride the technology obsolescence wave. You can buy the latest and greatest, but sell them as soon as a newer model comes out because the older model still worths something. Another way is to only buy the older model second hand because they are cheaper.

I use my D200 as my primary body with my D70 as a secondary and backup. I usually try to use two different lenses (one on each camera) and will use both during a shoot. Not sure I can really tell the difference on prints (never done a blinded taste test, but I alway put what I believe will be my dominate lens on the D200.

Good look.

steven