Bridal dress Red

crystal-lite

I have an up-coming wedding to shoot on May 13th.

The brides dress is bright red (she has reddish hair too) Her bridesmaids are all white and the

groom has black tuxedo.

This is my first wedding where the bride is not dressed in white or cream or ivory.

Have you taken shots of a bride dressed in red? How have they come out? Is there nothing for

me to worry about? She wants colour and some black and white photos.

Hi Anthony, By any chance would the bride's fiance of Chinese descent? In that case she's

honoring his culture by wearing red.

Chinese brides have traditionally worn red dresses; in America a Chinese bride may wear a

white or red wedding dress, some wear one dress for the ceremony and one for the

reception.

I have photographed one Chinese wedding, during the ceremony she wore a white dress,

during the reception she wore this red dress. I tried, but could not find any photos of her

standing near people wearing a lot of white or with red hair, here is one of her with red

envelops (they contain monetary presents). If the groom is Chinese, there will probably be

a lot of red things there.

As far as metering, I just did an average of her and her dress, did a quick average in my

hear and picked an exposure that would flatter her skin tones most of all, doing simliar

things for shots of her with others.

Good luck and be sure to post some photos when you are done.

Danielle Stolman

Atherton, CA<div>00G2gn-29414084.jpg.3ade954c4218a3867011a854e2877720.jpg</div>

I've never done a bride in red but I've done plenty of brides-maids. Red is actually and excellent color. It won't blow out as easily as gives skin tones nice warmth. Depending on the material it probably is fairly specular, so make sure your light is well diffused.<div>00G2ko-29416084.jpg.281388fca979ac15568c43fed00f37ce.jpg</div>

White wedding dress and black tuxedo these colors are the most difficult for the camera sensors to deal with. The red will be less problem for the sensors and for you to be able to nail your exposures. Please post some of the results it will be interesting.

Good shooting to ya !!

Merle

Anthony,

Thanks for posting this question. I'm photographing a wedding next weekend where the bride is wearing red, as well (she's a firefighter's fiance and he has no idea she's wearing red!). I'm looking forward to it!

Jen

I have shot quite a few red dresses this year and last. Colour is definitely in fashion. I will be awkward and say I prefer white dresses where you only have to watch out for highlights. I read a very angry post on a brides forum last year because another photographer hadn't got the red EXACTLY right in the photos.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
<p>Hey Howe why you are so worried?Red is considered auspicious and a symbol of good luck as well as fertility. this is the reason most brides are dressed in red.It believed that wearing red of the bride brings health and longevity to the husband .Dress is an expression of feelings running inside you.Don’t limits yourself to bride wedding dresses!.Just enjoy your wedding and forget all things running in your mind. Prom Dresses 2011.