walking through the local farmers COOP and taking some pictures. I

got a nice shot of a feed shed with some clouds in the sky. Well, I

would like to display or do something with the image, but now I'm

wondering if I can/should. They were closed and there are no people

in any of the photographs, but I was on the COOP property. Is that

considered a public place or was I actually trespassing? I think I

had my tripod set up right on the big scale when I took the shot that

I like. Thanks for your opinions. -Bill

I just don't want someone to see the photograph and come to me saying I didn't have permission to photograph there or I was trespassing or something. I doubt that anyone would care anyway, I just worry about where I can and can't legally photograph. I have some photographs from the same COOP that I took from the street and I'm not worried about those.

Bill, Unless this farmer's coop is not really a farmers coop but a cover for some top secret CIA weapons system I would not worry in the least that someone will be miffed. If they ever do see your photographs (and I tend to think they never will) they would be more apt to ask you for a copy to stick on their wall.

There are two groups of people that can answer your questions. Local lawyers who know the laws of your state, etc., wrt to pictures of property taken on the property - which may not be the same as having been on the property for business, with permission, invited, etc. They can certainly tell you if it's "trespassing." That's also is a matter of legal definitions, not photographers' "probablies."

And the Coop owners (board??), who should be able to tell you if they are going to go up in flames over this.

I wouldn't hesitate to post it. There was no sign saying " No Trespasing" and its not being used commercially. I really wouldn't worry about it. Sunday I was out shooting at a Outlet after closing where the sidelighting on this gigantic building was wonderful: many oportunities for B+W abstracts. I also knew I was going to be qustioned sooner or later. I was stopped twice. First time was short, employee leaving in car. Second time 3 cleaning guys stopped me saying someone had called about my shooting. This kind of paranoia usually bugs me and at first I returned the grief they were giving me.

Then I dedided to show them what equipment I was using and the atmosphere totally changed as they each inspected a Rolleiflex TLR, folowwed by a Leica 111C, followed by the camera that they really loved a Brooks Veriwide 100 with the Leitz finder attached. All hostilities were gone by the time they were looking at the 100 degree angle of view of the Veriwide. I usually keep 2 B+W "prints"[4x6in invitations] from prior shows to show people who want to know what I'm doing. That also usually gets them out of my face. Of course if they tell you to leave private property you are obliged to leave. Post the Pic.

I'm thinking of displaying an enlargement in the local library, where people will likely see it and make the connection. But, maybe I am worrying about this too much. What if I were to enter the image in a contest or try to sell prints? Does that change the situation?

If you want to disarm your subjects, by all means, show them an old Rollie or an old

whatever. It works. BTW, the Rollie is great for people pictures for another reason: the

waist-level finder puts people at ease. They don't feel as if they're being inspected,

dissected, etc. The eye-level camera covers your face with a mask of technology.