Fine Qaulity Wide to Mid-Tele Zoom for Digital Rebel?

I'm planning to get a Digital Rebel as my first DSLR. Which zoom

lens should I get? I'm looking at focal length falling between 28-90

range (35mm equivalent) but I heard that the matching 18-55 EF-S is

so-and-so in quality though cheap. Any other alternatives which will

closely match the Tamron SP28-75/2.8 XLR Di which I'm using for film

SLR?

Hi Fred: I am a new Canon 20D owner - after a lot of research, one of the lenses I purchased is Canon's 28-135mm IS EF lens. It has a nice range, Macro capabilities, and is built very solid.

It MAY not be wide enough, as you have to take into consideration the 1.6x "crop factor" - I will let you read the articles that explain that issue separately! The 28-135 is a great all-around performer so far.

Check out www.bobatkins.com for his opinions also.

Fred, I just bought the Tamron 28-75 for the same purpose. Its a very nice lens, although a bit troublesome wide open and F2.8 (but just a bit). You can check some of my test shots and postings if you like.

Another alternative is the Canon 17-85 with IS - check out Dell (yes, the computer company) as I have heard they have a good deal on this.

Yes, the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. Or add a couple hundred bucks and get the Canon 17-40 f/4L. Both are very good. If you are planning on buying a film or full frame digital body in the future, the Canon lens is the better choice, but if you plan on sticking with the 1.6x crop cameras like the DRebel, the Sigma is the better buy. There is always the question of future compatibility with Sigma lenses though.