Haze Or Cleaning Marks?

According to the optics guys I've ever spoken with, wipe marks and haze cause an increase in light scatter and decrease in transmission, which induces flare and reduces contrast and effective lens speed, but generally does not affect sharpness. Serviceable defects likt improper collimation and decentring, plus the various aberrations present in the lens design, are more likely culprits for lack of sharpness with specific lenses, taking pilot error out of the equation of course.

Scratches and haze both decrease contrast and increase the tendency to flare as Ben says. However, since contrast contributes to the perception of sharpness (which depends upon both the resolution and contrast), this will definitely reduce the subjective appearance of sharpness of the image. A small number of wipe marks on the front surface is generally not that harmful, but a large number of marks to the extent that they are near confluent in areas certainly will degrade the image. I would think that unless the number of wipe marks is very large, the haze is more likely to be the culprit.

Stu, I'm glad you are investing in a CLA. No Summicron in proper condition is "far from razor sharp," especially stopped down. If your wipe marks are indeed coating marks and not scratches, that's a good start. The haze can usually be removed for not too much money, and that may be your biggest culprit. There's a guy in Colorado I believe, who specializes in this kind of work. Someone out there knows who I'm talking about.