at first light or last light.

Anyone been there who might recommend the better time to shoot

between the two- surise or sunset? And no - I will not be able to do

both.....grrrrr!

While I am at it - any suggestions for Cape Breton Park photo ops? I

have 2 full days there and will have more time to myself to explore

and shoot.

Hi Eric,

Being an X Nova Scotian, I hope I can help. Your question is difficult. The Light House is facing East. In the morning you will have the sun coming off the Atlantic Ocean. In the evening, of course, it will be on the land side. Then again there is always the Maritime fog. It can be as thick as soup and it can roll in fast. You may have to consult the weather forcasts. Since you will have a limited time there, you will just have to take what the tides give you.

My preference would be the evening because of the sunset over the land vs the sea. There is lots of touristy stuff there and a good restaurant.

I cannot comment on Cape Breton Park because a lot has changed since I left. If you are going up the Cabot Trail, you will be amazed.

Please let me know - you lucky guy,

Have a good time,

Howard King

I have also shot at both ends of the day. To me the question is not one of weather but of people. The direction of light issue can be resolved by changing position. What you can't alter is the promise that in July (I was there mid July 2002) the place is heaving with people right up to and beyond sunset and you'll find it really tough to get a clean shot. All the best shots I got at Peggy's Cove were made between dawn and breakfast, and outside of dog walkers I mostly had the place almost to myself.

Howard and David - thank you both for your sage advice. Actually David - I was definitely thinking of the crowds when I asked the question. It indeed seemed to me that the place would be mobbed with tourists and that my best chance might be at dawn. Of course as Howard said, I fear the maritime fog. When I was in SF - getting up at dawn to take photos was an exercise in futility unless ones goal was to get "fog" shots.

I suppose that since me timing there is necessarily limited, I will try for dawn and hope that the fog will not be too much of a nuisance or, alternatively, will just be light enough to add to the shot.

Thanks guys - and yes Howard, I have heard great things about the Cabot Trail and can't wait to visit.

Eric

Be sure to take the Highway 333 "loop" if you're travelling from Halifax to Peggy's Cove. There are great photo ops all along.

Another suggestion: Travelling the secondary roads down to Chester, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg and then back to Halifax on Highway 103 would make a good day trip. Just make sure that you have a good map . . . I like the Nova Scotia Atlas (a large blue spiral bound book that can be bought at Information Centres).

The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is breathtaking -- there will be no shortage of things to photograph there.

Enjoy the trip. Looking forward to seeing some pics here!

I am able to shoot both sunsets and sunrises or whatever while being married. I hear you though. Traveling with groups can make unique photographic opportunities a futile exercise. No one wants to see what's down that little road and if you do get to see and nothing's there, just try exploring other such little roads. (It helps some if you do the driving) Oh, and they're all ready to go waiting by the car just as you are getting started in that great spot you WERE able to get to.

Grrrr!

I was there last September. I shot at the end of the day. My biggest problem was wind. As I was using a view camera, I had great dificulty focusing under the dark cloth. As it turned out, when I was done I realized that a bunch of tourists had been taking pictures of me fighting the wind under my dark cloth! They had a good laugh!

If I were to do it againg I would shoot at dawn. There's a great shorline view looking to the south from the light house.

The whole eastern NS costline has great picture taking locations. I will go back again.