Streeets in Philadelphia

South Street on a Friday or Saturday night is sort of like Times Square in NYC.........but lower the average age about 10-15 years. Meaning teen agers to 20 something..and not as big or crowded.......just the closest philly comes to masses of people in one place..except around big shopping week ends, then the older crowd comes to shop, and the teens are still there.....very crowded then.

5th ave.......heh........good luck. Walnut street between Broad and Rittenhouse square comes the closest that I can think of...up scale shops, more money type people, chic type of people

the book in the link above is of south philly......very Italian, Irish, Vietnamese....ie very ethnic neighborhoods. The Italian Market is there........the Mummers, well most of the big clubs live there....but it is not a place (except for the Italian Market when it is actually open...that people tend to walk around much.

4th and 5th streets between Vine and Washington Avenue is pretty interesting......but again, not tons of people. 2nd street around the area of Chestnut on a weekend is cool.......lots of clubs

also First Friday around Olde City is the first friday of the month and the art gallaeries stay open later on that night. Olde City is like from Walnut to Arch........and front to maybe 4th......depends on how the art galleries come and go........pretty cool night

But, if you are use to NYC..........get ready for a really slow pace.......except for south street on a week end night......Philly just does not have the volume of people hanging out like NYC.

Thanks Tom, it pretty much confirms what I know. I do like to shoot second and third streets on the Friday/Saturday nights, but find South st. annoying at those times. The Ritten House area looks boring most of the time, too, but maybe I am not looking hard enough.

Where do you like to shoot?

I guess to get the equivalent of Fifth Ave. I have no choice but to haul to NYC.

my fav is actually South Street on a week end night.......heh....annoying, well, it can be, but sometimes I think that atmosphere makes for the best pics.

you have to just wander in philly really.......its not like nyc where you pic a spot (except for south street that is)........you have to kinda start at one spot and head towards another, making turns at whim

also dont overlook the subway system.........not a great shooting place like nyc, but not half bad either.

Are you from the philly area? I'm over the river in NJ....like 8 minutes by train....surprised we havent met if you are.

Although I wish I had photos of South Street in the '90s, after having worked there (at

Zipperhead, no less) and living in nearby Queen Village, I couldn't fathom shooting there,

esp. not now. Alhtough, I will say, if you do go, the craziest it gets is for Fourth of July,

Mardi Gras and the Greek Picnic.

For ritzy, Rittenhouse is the swankiest it will get, or Broad Street at a Kimmel Center

opening, and maybe farther north at those restaurants. Philadelphia Weekly has had a

long-running concert series every Wednesday of the summer in Rittenhouse, which is a

great day to drink wine in the park and not get busted. That'll make for nice pics.

Personal faves would be Love Park/City Hall, Chinatown, the Italian Market, and the El.

I'm fairly new to the forum here, but I work in Philadelphia at 9th and Chestnut. I typically like to take a nice lunch break and walk down to Old City and find some of the gardens and architecture. I try to bring my camera in once a week to walk to a different area. I'll have to try some street shots, as the vendor photo above is really great!