it's fine but watch that you don't forget when you take the camera

off. I also tried putting the strap on the lens hood which looks and

works good.

It does raise the camera and lens and so it really needs a stable and

solid tripod platform. It was rockity on my small Velbon since it

amplifies all it's weaknesses($150) but on my friends Bogden it is

rock solid. Having both the lens and camera supported makes for a

very stable setup on top and of coures it balances nicely. I also got

the RS-80N3 remote switch for about $50.

On the monopod it works even better since you can rest your hand in

the gap on top of the monopod, and the monopod itself gives a stable

platform. It's definitely a lot better setup that just the camera on

the tripod or monopod. It is quite a chunk of metal so carting it

around is an extra hassle. Anyway, it's an alternative to at least

look at.

--Peter<div>00CYb4-24159284.jpg.ee053fbca7550143f5e5e0fde0a278c5.jpg</div>

I think I'd pay the extra $30 and get the Canon collar.

This could be useful for long lenses that don't have a built in tripod mount, don't change length when zoomed and don't have a rotating front barrel, but off hand I can't think of any in the Canon lineup.

Like Mike and Bob indicated, the black Tripod Ring A is only $89.95 at B&H (for some

reason cheaper than the white Tripod Ring A). Why waste your time with Rube goldberg

devices that don't work nearly as well or as conveniently? The best thing

about the Tripod Ring A is it's designed for rapid change from horizontal and vertical

orientation. Otherwise I wouldn't bother as the 70-200 is light enough a tripod mount isn't

needed.

When I bought the balck Tripod Ring A a few years ago it was only $65, but I use it on my

EF 200 2.8L USM, 70-200 4L USM and 300 4L USM (non-IS).

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

>> The best thing about the Tripod Ring A is it's designed for rapid change from horizontal and vertical orientation. Otherwise I wouldn't bother as the 70-200 is light enough a tripod mount isn't needed.

I fully agree. Then again, for rapid change from horizontal to vertical I use my 322RC2. Thus, unlike Peter, I have never found a real need for a tripod collar on my current 200/2.8 and former 70-200/4. They are light enough and not heavy enough to need it, at least IMHO.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

i have both the white (ring A<W>) and black (ring B<B>) canon tripod collars. they are different, and i know there's a black version of tripod mount ring A.

have you considered the reason-maybe-canon produced a white and black version is to help consumers differeniate between the ring mount B<B>(macro lens usage only); and the ring mount A<B> for aesthetic reasons only?

and in regards to the photographer who said that he uses the tripod mount ring A<B> on his 300 f4; i'm pretty sure that the new 'is' version actually uses the mount ring B<B> painted in white, without the adapter(same usage in 180 macro)

<I>i have both the white (ring A) and black (ring B) canon tripod collars. they

are

different, and i know there's a black version of tripod mount ring A.</i><P>

There is a black version for macro lenses, and there is ANOTHER black version for telephotos

and telezooms like the 70-200/4. The latter is identical to the white version, except for the

paint job -- and as others have said, for some reason it's cheaper. I have the black one and

it fits my 70-200/4 perfectly. I also have the (different) black ring for the 100 macro lens.

<I>Can someone confirm that the black ring will or will not work with the 70-200 f/4 lens? I

was under the impression that the black ring worked ONLY with the f/2.8 lens.</i><P>

Please read what I said in the immediately previous post to yours. And what Mike, and Bob,

and Puppy Face said, which is this: <B>YES, the black 'A' ring DOES fit the 70-200/4 lens

</b>

Mark,

Thanks for the succinct (if somewhat flippant) answer. I guess what confused me was the B&H link in Mike's response. In the B&H ad, it clearly says that the black ring is ONLY for the f/2.8 lens. Thanks for clearing that up.

-ken

<P>Yeah! So far my black Tripod Ring A fits perfectly on the</P>

<BLOCKQUOTE>EF 70-200 4L USM</BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>EF 80-200 2.8L</BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>EF 200 2.8L USM (original & II)</BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>EF 300 4L USM (original non-IS)</BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>EF 400 5.6L USM</BLOCKQUOTE>

<P>I think it fits one or two more lenses but I have no personal experience with the other

suspects.</P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Yes, Canon has a bit of a reputation for giving specifications that aren't completely accurate.

One of the best known is a section in the instruction book for the supertelephoto IS lenses

(300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4, 600/4) which stated explicitly that you needed to turn IS off for

tripod use. In fact, these lenses have tripod 'sensors' that let IS work perfectly on tripods.

In the same not-quite-correct tradition is that statement about the black A tripod ring only

fitting the 200/2.8.

I still have no clue why it's substantially cheaper than the 'white' verson....

Drats,

I didn't buy the black one because of what Canon's specs say at B&H. The white one is $119 so I got the Bogen instead for $60. I would prefer the real thing of course but I got the remote switch and support this way for less then the (what I thought) mount costs. I will say though, supporting both the camera and lens makes for great support -- no worries about "contact" problems with this baby!

--Peter