Turning off color management on Epson R2400 on Mac

I am helping a friend install his new Epson R2400. He has a Mac with

the operating system that immediately preceded Tiger. He uses

Photoshop CS, and needs to turn off Epson's color management. But I

can't seem to find where that's done. I would appreciate specific

directions.

After you clink Print... you get a dialog. Select the R2400 from the pull down Printer menu (if it is not already selected). The bottom menu (it contains Layout, Print Settings etc.) contains an option Color Management. Turn off colour management here.

I'm not very familiar with Mac OS, so please excuse me for pursuing this thread. When I choose to print in black or advanced black and white, the option to turn off color management isn't available, so it seems. Does that matter? I've tried to print a photo converted to monochrome using the channel mixer in PS, and the print looked nothing like the monitor image. It was much darker and muddied. I don't think its a calibration issue. I must have some other setting(s) wrong, but I don't know which. Suggestions would be most appreciated!

Advanced black and white is an alternative to colour management regardless of which operating system you are using.

I have produced completely neutral B&W from the R2400 selecting colour and using colour management. Black mode is recommended only for text documents (that you want to keep for 100 years ;)). I have not tried Advanced B&W yet.

Is his monitor calibrated ? If not it is possible there is a Gamma mismatch. I have my monitor set to Gamma 2.2 because that is the PC standard rather than 1.8 which is the historical Mac standard. If the monitor is calibrated or profiled then this comes out in the wash but otherwise it can cause images to appear lighter on the screen than on a PC and possibly on a print printed using defaults. There is an option in the Colour Controls section of the print driver to set native Gamma.

Have you gone through the manual. It is actually pretty good about explaining this ?

Thanks for following up, Alistair. His monitor is reasonably well cailbrated. The R2400 replaces a 2200, and the prints from that one looked fine. I will check his gamma settings. I believe they're 1.8, but I'm not sure. I have read thru the manual, but perhaps it deserves a second read. Again, thanks for your help.

There is another poster who reports darker prints with his R2400 and reported the best solution was to ignore colour management in PS, use Colour Controls in the printer driver, and set Gamma to 1.8.

There are some IC profiles for glossy paper especially for the R2400 which can be downloaded from Epson.

• 1 year later...
Hi, can anyone make any suggestions!? I have an epson r2400 and a mac book pro (intel) I have tried much printing and all the colours print in a faded and faint way. Black keeps printing as grey. My printer has been tested on another computer and the colours printed fine, but on my mac the colours keep printing in a faded way. What on earth could this be? I have been advised it could be a software issue. Does anyone know what I should do!? Thanks