sharp image plane really stands out well against the OOF image

planes, more so than any other 50. One of the benefits with older

50/1.4 designs was their slightly improved performance(except field

curvature) over their f/2 counterparts at f/2.8 or f/4, while f/1.4

was used for max. image isolation, low light last resort or to

intentionally soften an image for effect. The main benefit of this

lens is a gain in sharpness by about 1-2 stops over previous 1.4

designs or 1 stop over f/2 designs at their respective apertures. By

f/5.6 this lens shows little advantage over the current Summicron.

Build quality was great with no complaints of aperture looseness

that others have experienced in the past. I guess it's a matter of

taste. My only caveat is that one should be careful not to exert

very much upward pressure on the underside of the lens when

craddling the camera because it can cause a shift in focus due to

backward motion of the lens cam against the camera's cam follower.

Special thanks to Tony Rose for letting me try this lens.

Thanks for the report. Could you further explain your caveat?: "[O]ne should be careful not to exert very much upward pressure on the underside of the lens when craddling the camera because it can cause a shift in focus due to backward motion of the lens cam against the camera's cam follower." I'm just not sure how this problem could happen & why it would be more of a problem w/this lens as opposed to any other.

<Chris> I can't explain exactly why this happens except for two things. The lens' focusing ring has slightly more dampening than other 50's causing me to grab it a little harder and as a result I may have been inadvertantly pushing up on it from the bottom. Secondly, and this only a guess, is that the increased complexity of the focusing mount from floating element mechanism may cause the focusing cam to move slightly with upward force on the lens' focusing mount.

Part of the problem on price stems from Leica's current policy on new lenses is to enforce strict adherence to list price. I might be mistaken, but I think the regular Summilux use to list for $2200 a few years ago according to Popular Photography on their last 50 M Summilux review. In that context, the Asph. version is a 'bargin'.

Of all the lenses a 50mm is the least difficult to design with todays ability to cheaply fabricate Aspheric elements (look at all the inexpensive lenses with asph elements) and special high index glass.

I have not seen any rush however for redesign the existing designs of F1.4 lenses that could be advantaged by this technology because the current lenses satisfy most users expectations. I have never liked the 50mm look and so it was way down at the bottom of my shopping list.

I finally bought a f1.2 AIS 50mm Nikon lens that is good enough wide open and easy to focus on an SLR even with 4" dof. IT has a nice bokeh due to well controlled flair and 9 blade iris. And when stopped down to F2.0 or smaller its well detailed. Best of all its built solid and finely finished and I got it mint for all of $260. Mark me in the club that feels that more than $2,500 for a normal lens is overpriced.

Personally, I would rather spend more on a lens that I am going to use all the time than one

that I would use only 10% of the time or less. That's why I have the 50 summilux asph and

the 21mm voigtlander...The summilux asph is well ahead of any 50/1.4 or faster lens I have

ever used, and it is almost the same at 1.4 as the summicron is at f/2. <P>In any case, I

agree with Alan -- the lens is a spectacular performer.

My reason for buying a 50/1.4 M lens is to shoot in low light, where a tripod or other solid support is not practical, taking full advantage of the combination of high speed film, the M's lack of mirror slap, and the wide aperture. I had a chance to shoot the ASPH Summilux alongside my E43 Summilux under those conditions and there was not a "wow" difference, in fact there was virtually do difference. Am I saying the 50 Lux-ASPH wouldn't trounce my pre-ASPH shooting a flat chart? No, I'm sure the ASPH is much better. Am I saying the ASPH wouldn't trounce my pre-ASPH at wider apertures in the corners shooting a detailed landscape being blown up to 16x20? No again, I'm sure the ASPH would clearly outperform my Lux. But I've got a Summicron if I want to shoot those kinds of subjects, and the two lenses together cost me less than half the ASPH. If money were no object sure I'd rather have the ASPH than my two lenses, but money is an object.

Ben Z.,

you've summed it up nicely... I'm sure it's a fantastic lens, but I still don't know where I'd need the 50 ASPH - corner sharpness at 1.4 for dimly lit landscapes? I got a pre-Asph two years ago and thought I'd upgrade to the ASPH when it comes out, but now I can't justify it for myself. Btw, didn't I read in LFI that the Elmar-M is still the best performer close-up?

This may come as a pleasant surprise for those disinclined to spend $2500 on this lens. Critical testing of corner resolution at the extreme corner show better sharpness with the Summicron or Planar between f/2 and f/4 due to better correction of astigmatism. This is illustrated on Leica's published MTF graphs but for me, it's not relevant for the type of shooting I do. From everything I've read about the 50's, the Summicron and current Elmar are best for flat field full frame work but the Asph. version does a great job in elliminating the original version's field curvature for close work. This will come in handy in photographing museum paintings where tripods or flash are forbidden.

We differ there -- 1.4 is as much a depth of field issue as a low light issue for me. I like to

shoot wide open to isolate subjects, and the summilux ASPH is fantastic for that. One of

the reasons it is so good is that it stays so incredibly sharp and evenly lit wide open. But

beyond that, the color accuracy of the lens is extraordinary. It really reproduces colors

very very well. If I want the more pastel pallete of the older summilux I will choose a film

like Astia, but I cannot go the other way with the old summilux. I guess my argument is

that the differences between the new and old summilux <i>do</i> come to play in real

life photography. At least they have for me. But then again, you are an old summilux

owner and I am a new summilux owner. Both of have tried the other and prefer the one we

have. I don't see any harm in that. But I do think it is wrong to say it is not worth it for

everyone when it is not worth it for you (its not so much that you said that, but others in

the thread). I had the ability to choose between the two and took the ASPH -- I am very

happy with my choice.

Barrel distortion was indeed the big crticique of the pre-aspherical, as I recall. Kudos to Leica for continuing to improve the technology, especially on a design that has remained unchanged for 44 years! If the new lens indeed provides flat field and corner to corner sharpness wide open, then it's providing something at 1.4 that hasn't been provided before, and it's great that it's out there if you need it. Otherwise, it seems the question is would you trade an older cron and preasph lux for the new lens? Maybe it's an easier decision to make if one is just starting out and is buying one's first 50mm!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shooting with the 50mm 1.4 Summilux ASPH quite extensively for the past few weeks and must say that I am quite pleased and impressed with its performance. The sharpness and contrast has a certain look to it that is different than compared to the current 50 Summicron lens. From the center to the outer edges of the negative, I can perceive a bit more consistancy with less distortion than compared to the Summicron. At 5.6, both lens perform quite well and I almost don't notice much difference except the 50 ASPH lens does seem to have a bit more overall sharpness.

Dale Edward