Hi, I've decided on getting an SWC, there are two models available

where I'm looking, the 903 and the cm, both are in nearly new

condition but the 903 is about an extra ᆪ400. Chiefly my only concern

is the difference in the finders, I know they're quite distorted, is

the 903 less so, and does the distance scale help, and which is better

for frame line accuracy?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ross

Ross the current finders are also distorted. The significant finder differences are that the modern ones allow you to see the bubble level and the focus/distance ring, plus the frame lines include 645 guides. I use a 903 SWC-M with a 37mm x 49mm digital back, and I can tell you from experience that accurate framing takes a lot of practise! Framing is a little easier with film.

If you're buying a 903 there's a number of things to keep in mind. The very early examples aren't multi-coated, and with the 38mm lens that's a significant disadvantage, even the latest models benefit from effective shading. So look for the T* multi-coating symbol on the front of the lens and get one of the Bayonet 60 38-60mm lens shades.

The next thing to be aware of is that all lenses up to mid way through the 903 SWC-M production life have a problem with the shutter design. It's very close to one of the lens elements and in a farly high percentage of cameras it will have brushed against the glass causing very fine micro scratching. To spot it you have to shine a bright light through the back of the body, with the shutter locked open, and look very closely. The later 903 SWC-M's uses a different design of shutter blades which has solved the problem.

If you've got the money to consider buying new then you should also be aware that with the 905's Zeiss redesigned the lens, not because they found a way to improve performance but because the original glass types, which contained arsenic and lead, were no longer available. The 905 is still a fine camera, but the lens performance isn't quite as high as the 903.

Finally even though I'm a satisfied 903 user I'm not blind to the camera's shortcomings. The lens is very very good, but IMO the Mamiya 7 with a 43mm gives still higher quality but without the same high degree of distortion control. Furthermore the lack of focusing with the 903 is a serious limitation to quality.

If you're not enlarging too much you can usually get away with scale focusing, but by the same logic if you're not enlarging too much then why not just use a Leica 24mm? Otherwise you'll have to do what I do, which is tripod mount the camera and use the very expensive ground-glass back to focus, then fit the back for the shot.

Thanks for the info Gary,

I had a look at the Mamiya, which seems like a more practicle route for wide angle medium format photography. However, it seems the SWC has a bit of a cult following, and after being initiated into the Leica one and being extremely happy, I was hoping the SWC would result in more of the same said satisfication. As such I have too considered going wide with the Leica, yet it seems MF excelles in many areas, from contact sheet size for viewing, to scanning and obviously print quality. I shall ponder further, but better informed, thanks.

The 38mm Bigon is an astounding lens, and I am almost certain you will not be disappointed with an early SWC without the T* coating. The SWC bodies are rugged, the earlier finder is just fine - you can see the level-bubble in the finder, and you don't need to see the aperture/shutter settings. (You see that before you put it to your eye!)

By the way, somewhere in the 'blad literature they mention that the hyperfocal markings on the SWC are nominal, that instead one use more pessimistic metrics for great enlargements. In my experience, that's true. (and who hasn't enlarged a SWC image beyond reason? It's irresistable.)

Ross,

As a fellow Leica cult member....I am also a card carrying SWC member :)

I have an old SWC and it did have the above-mentioned issue where the Shutter was

scratching the lens. It had it fixed and polished out and it is EXCELLENT.

You can get a cheap 3rd party screw-on shade on eBay that does the job nicely