Headshot Norms

bill owens

I'm doing some color headshots for my daughter (color by request).

Been looking around on-line for some current industry "norms" for

headshots; but not finding satisfactory answers to the following:

- Are 8.5x11's OK? (sure makes putting a resume on back easier)

- Is semi-gloss OK?

- Are most with or without a border? (I would prefer without in so

far as the border is usually whitest white and not beneficial for

relative grey-levels of eyes/teeth.)

- Do all include name at the bottom and what's a typical font type

and size? What about agent, phone number etc.? Are these on a

border or imposed over the image itself?

Thanks for any expertise on these questions.

Model or actors? Actors' headshots are significantly more constrained than models' headshots. Theater directors want no suprises. They want a clear shot of the entire head plus hair, no fancy lighting that obscures the features, a full face shot.

Art directors want to see more of the model's character.

Hello Bill:

I find iteresting your post because I'm doing the same here in Mexico city, I do not have much experience. My experience is mainly for theater. I have seen somebooks of actors and models and I have done just a couple of books.

I choose the paper for printing according to the photography, to the tone of the skin tone of the subject and the dress. For example, black backgrownds in glossy paper, ladies in semi-glossy or mate.. depending of the age also. I tink the 8.5 x 11 it's the rigth size, it fits perfectly in a book. I have seen that other photograpers do not to use borders, but I like them small, I guess head shots may look finer with no border..

I have an interesting question, pardon me if I add confusion. How about color saturation?

Peace

Jose

Bill, some of the "norms" vary from city to city in the US. I shoot actor headshots in LA. Color is the norm. They are printed 8x10, matte. The resume is trimmed to the same size and usually stapled, sometimes glued, on the back. There can be a border around the image, but there is almost always some space, either white or black. The name is always printed somewhere on the photo side, usually in the space around the image but can be anywhere. Font and size are the actor's choice, but must be clearly legible.

In LA the images are usually vertical, but sometimes horizontal. However, the image is always printed so that the paper is vertical.

In LA, where there are many thousands of actors that need new headshots every year or so, there are several big photo labs that do only headshots. Some have online services and will mail out the finished product. Here are two:

http://www.argentum.com/2004/index.shtml

http://www.reproductions.com/LA/index.html

I hope this helps. Good luck.

A couple more things. The space around the image is usually white, but I have seen black. The space is usually not even all around and the image can have any aspect ratio. Only the name is printed on the front, nothing else. All other information, such as agent's name, goes on the resume on the back.

Good luck.