I just recieved a nikon n55 with a box of other stuff and was

thinking of using it as a back up camera. However I have some

questions about TTL auto flash metering on the hotshoe. I know this

camera only does TTL with the built in flash, but I want to know how

it will behave with a SB-22s attached. If I set the SB-22S to auto,

what will it do exactly? Can the flash figue out the eposure on its

own? I know the AF assist will not work, but what will work on the

N55?

I used the sb-22 on an n75. Should be pretty much the same. On ttl, it will measure the flash through-the-lens, determining the correct flash exposure for whatever aperture you are using. On the two auto settings, there is a sensor on the flash that will determine the "correct" flash exposure when you select the aperture it tells you to.

Jason, Jon's N55 is not quite like the N75 body. The N55 doesn't have TTL capability for accessory flash (it's one way Nikon created a difference between the N55 and its more costly brethren).

Jon... yes, the SB-22s can figure out the flash exposure on its own. It won't know the angle of view of your lens the way a TTL flash exposure would... but if you're shooting at focal lengths between about 28mm and 85mm the flash's guess will be pretty reasonable.

You'll want to set the aperture on the camera to be somewhere in the ballpark the SB22s expects for a given combination of film ISO and subject distance.

You might be surprised how well the SB-22s does from its perch in your hot shoe.

Be well,