RATING SYSTEM

color

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ANONYMOUS RATINGS DISCONTINUED. TO ME, ALLOWING PEOPLE TO

RATE IMAGES ANONYMOUSLY ATTACKS THE POSSIBILITIES OF THIS BEING A SIGNIFICANT

COMMUNITY. I TAKE MY PHOTOGRAPHY SERIOUSLY AND WORK TO EXPAND AND REFINE MY

SKILLS. ANONYMOUS RATINGS DON'T HELP ME TO GET BETTER. WHEN I GET LOW RATINGS

AND NO OTHER FEEDBACK I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN HIT BY A SNIPER.

Chuck - <BR>

You're new here. First, most experience a post in ALL CAPS as someone screaming at them; screaming for attention without realizing that all caps are difficult to read. So you piss them off immediately. <BR><BR>Secondly, the reason for anonymous ratings is that in the past when each rating was ascribed to a person there was a lot of bad feelings toward someone who didn't like your picture and gave it a rating below what you thought reasonable. Sometimes the person recieving that rating wrote angry responses, public and private, to the reviewer. Then the administration had to explain (AGAIN) that this was not acceptable behavior. <BR><BR>The solution, whether you or I or anyone else likes it, was to make the ratings anonymous. The truth is there are snipers out there. And some people won't like you and give your pictures low rates because of all kinds of reasons. Much of the time they don't like or they do like your subject or your general approach to photography agrees or disagrees with their own. The bottom line is the ratings do not necessarily reflect the quality of your picture. They only reflect the general population's opinion. Keep in mind that the general public thinks Thomas Kinkade is great. The mob is a very dumb giant.

So, let me paraphrase - you would like to get feedback with or without ratings.

You have submitted 211 pictures for critique but left feedback on only 149, including a significant fraction on your own. If you are not leaving feed back for others, why should they leave feedback for you?

You just have to understand the philosophy of the site - anyone who does may now raise his or her hand. OK, seeing no hands, let me continue. Ratings are not for the photographer. The only use for them is to place photos in the various gallery "top photos" views.

It is true that anonymous ratings don't help you to get better, but I fail to see how non-anonymous ratings will help you to get better, either. It's just a number. If you look at the average rating given by some of the members, the average for some will be 6/6. So if you get a 6/6 from them, that's average. The average for others might be 3.5/3.5. So if you get a 4 from them, that's above average. I saw recently one photographer whose average rating given was less than 2. I'm not sure how that happens, since 1's and 2's aren't really used any more. Some members only rate pictures they like. Some members only rate pictures they don't like. And the 3/3 guy likes everything the same.

The best way to improve is to leave comments and questions on the photos of others, and see if you can get some response. If someone takes the time to leave comments on my photos, I try to take the time to go look at their photos. I almost never leave ratings any more, but I try to leave comments and stimulate some sort of dialogue.

I saw a comment left on a photo recently that said "Useless photo."

So now there is a useless photo followed by a useless comment, I guess.

One thing about being hit by internet snipers - it's not fatal, so all is good.

Best Regards

Hoi! I apologize to those who were bothered by my use of ALL CAPS. I was on a break at work (CAD architectural drafting), where I am required to use all caps for the notes and other info I add to my drawings. I just didn't notice, sorry. (Too bad italics aren't possible here.)

My posting did get a lot more response and variety of types of responses than I expected. That was worth the mistaken use of the dreaded "ALL CAPS".

I do make a deliberate effort to respond to some requests for critiques because that's the way I want to be treated. I think that to do no more is insulting to the people who honestly want a little feedback in developing their abilities. The times that I have added comments to my own images have been to respond to what someone else has said about the image, not to inflate my ego. (It's big enough, thank you.)

Thanks to the kinder responders.<div>00HUes-31481984.thumb.jpg.d4351742f1f42dc52f87e88aadd628dd.jpg</div>

CHUCK

HERE ARE SOME CAPS BACK AT YA. WOW, DID THEY HURT.I READ THESE RESPONSES FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN ON HERE FOR A LONG TIME AND ALL THEY DO IS INSULT THE NEW PEOPLE THAT HAVE AN HONEST POST.IF YOUR SICK OF THE RATINGS POSTS, DON'T READ EM!

THE RATING SYSTEM IS NOT PERFECT HERE AND TAKES A WHILE TO FIGURE IT OUT.MAYBE SOMEDAY SOMEONE WILL COME UP WITH A BETTER WAY TO MAKE THE SYSTEM HONEST. KEEP THE IDEAS FLOWING AND MAYBE IF SOMEONE NEW COMES ALONG AND HAS A SOLUTION, THE LOUD MOUTHS WILL STOP THE INSULTS

Kevin,<p align="justify">

[...] KEEP THE IDEAS FLOWING AND MAYBE IF SOMEONE NEW COMES ALONG AND HAS A SOLUTION, THE LOUD MOUTHS WILL STOP THE INSULTS [...]<p align="justify">

Not sure a solution will come cause not sure there's a problem. This kind of thread is one of the most posted and it is - <i>in a very large majority</i> - by recent photo.net users.<br>

If you limit the approach of your photography to 2 numbers, the problem is different.<p align="justify">

Chuck, if you want feedback, the best rule is: give to receive.<p align="justify">

<i>BTW, I didn't read any insults (but some spicy humour touches) in the few lines about your CAPS.</i></p>

The ratings system is only useful in a couple of ways. Sometimes when I happen upon a portfolio I dig I'll look at what photos that person rates as high, it often leads to new an interesting finds.

For your own photos most of the ratings won't tell you much of anything whether anonymous or not. Sometimes youll have someone you respect give you high marks, and thats about the only time they do in my view.

And by the way, I agree with the original poster. After three years here I see little use for anonymous ratings, not sure why they were initiated - to lure in members? Don't know.