finding lenses for yashica FR

not sure if i'm in the right area for my camera but if you can help

that's cool. I've had the yashica FR for quite some time now and

passed down to me. I recently had it cleaned and replaced old seals.

and it's taking some lovely pics now but i only have a 55mm lense to

use and i would like to buy a wide angle lense. i live in greece now

and none of the camera shops sell them is there any internet site

you could suggest that i could purchase one.

thanks JO.

Hi Giuseppe,

This is not the right forum for this question since the FR-1 was produced well after 1970 and has quite bit of electronics inside unlike the cameras usually discussed in this forum. The thing doesn't even fire the shutter without batteries.

To answer your question: FR-1 uses Yashica/Contax (Y/C) mount. Your biggest source will probably be ebay. You can either get the affordable Yashica or the expensive Zeiss lenses for the camera, both will fit. Yashica lenses are very good performers even though they are quite cheap to get. I have used Yashica lenses both in screw and in Y/C mount. I am currently in the process of repairing a FR-1 with a Yashica DSB 50/1.9 on and I have been very pleased from the results so far.

Good luck

Berk

I bought an FR new when they were first produced. In fact I persuaded a few friends who were getting into 35mm photography to buy FR cameras as well. The FR has a pretty good viewfinder (LEDs for metering information) but what I really liked about it was its very very solid feel. Heavy metal construction. The electronic shutter is a bit on the loud side, but I always found that due to its weight I could hold it very very steady.

If you can afford it, I would suggest you try and get a Carl Zeiss T Distagon 28mm f2.8 lens. The filter size on these is 55mm. This is a very high quality lens for a little extra than the Yashica line of lenses. I bought one used a couple of years ago and found the photos I took with it to be excellent. The Carl Zeiss T 35mm f2.8 is also a very good quality lens for a good price as well.

I owned a FR-1 when they first came out and it was a jolly nice camera, especially with the winder fitted. Personally, I think it qualifies for the appellation 'classic' and the Yashica lenses (I had the 28, 50 and 100) were very good indeed.<div>00CvWa-24741684.jpg.04a9fddb4c2915cff264308a32700231.jpg</div>

I have an FX-D Quartz which uses the same lenses. The least expensive Yashica 28mm f2.8 wideangle lens is not very impressive. It has quite a bit of blurriness at the edges, much more so than my Pentax 28/2.8 M in K-mount. I suggest you look for the Zeiss lenses in the wideangle. The Yashica 50mm lenses are excellent.

-Paul

This is not the right forum for this question since the FR-1 was produced well after 1970.."

With all due respect, where the heck is he supposed to post this question? I've looked for a Contax/Yashica forum without success on this site. I do recall reading a post from a moderator declining to set up such a forum, but suggesting Classic Cameras was good enough...

Try ebay for the best selection of Yashica ML lenses. To learn more about these and Contax lenses try the forum and Yashica/Contax pages at this site: http://forum.cdegroot.com/

i'd like to thankyou all i will look into all the info Zeiss sounds like a nice idea i'll look at the prices first...it would be nice to have a yashica related site or directed to a sight that may allow yashica users the chance to chat. Thankyou again!

Glen,

I think the camera equipment form suits better though some may say this forum is also ok. A very similar question was asked in camera equipment forum a few days ago which I referred to in my reply.

I have asked questions about post 70' cameras like (Yashica Tl-Electro, Kiev 4a, Pentax SPII) in this forum before but they were related to classical cameras in some way that the FR-1 is not.

Note that I still answered the question best I could.

Berk

Giuseppe, Try KEH.com Look at their used department. Click on Contax and then lenses. You will see a listing for Zeiss lenses there. Click on "Non manufacturers lenses" and look for the Yashica lenses. KEH is reliable and in many cases cheaper than EBAy. From what I hear their bargain stuff is as good as other stores excellent stuff.

"I have asked questions about post 70' cameras like (Yashica Tl-Electro, Kiev 4a, Pentax SPII) in this forum before but they were related to classical cameras in some way that the FR-1 is not".

Well I don't really see it, but I will yield the point to you. Maybe instead of Classic Cameras pre-1970 it should be 'Classic metal cameras' or 'Classic Manual Focus'?? And I notice that Nikon users have posted about their post-1980 all-electronic manual-focus cameras on this board and no one says anything, and they've even got a dedicated forum. Contax/Yashica is a camera brand, not camera equipment, and could at least rate an 'Other Brands' section, but that's only my opinion.

Giuseppe

The other option would be to look for some Tamron Adaptall lenses and get the Contax/Yashica mount for them.

Ebay or similar is probably the best place to find the lenses, or see if there are any local camera shows. You can also ask here.

Paul