Russian Canon Lenses

ymages

I have a Zenitar 16mm fish bought elsewhere. It is petty good from f5.6 and slower. Unless the price has gone up lately, at $160, it seems high. Low to mid hundreds was what it used to be. BTW, these are manual focus and manual stop down lens.

I have used the peleng 8mm fisyeye...I have one picture posted its a slide in my belle isle folder. Bruce Giffin another member has a few shots with the lens also. Its all manual and if you buy it, make sure you get the adaptor to fit your camera. I do not know of any offical site that has a review. I just have used it I liked the results.

It looks like they're just plain M42 lenses with factory pre-attached EOS adapter. Then they should have the same characteristics as original M42 lenses. I've used two of such lenses on Zenit camera during my school years. They are somewhat soft imagewise. It doesn't seem they make much saving against Tamron or Sigma if you buy it with pre-attached adapter. However buying an adapter and then original M42 lenses you may notice significant price difference. Yet again, think twice if you really want to gamble with quality.

Some of the Russian lenses are now also made with actual EOS mounts (but still no electronics) as an option to adaptable M42 mounts.<P>I can't find any comparison reviews to offer, but here's a small review of the Peleng 8mm:<br><a href="http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/stuff/peleng_fisheye/peleng_fisheye.html">Experiences with the Peleng 3.5/8 mm Fisheye

</a><p>And here's Bob Atkin's review of the Zenitar 16mm:<br><a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/fisheye.html">"Zenitar 16mm f2.8 fisheye lens"</a><p>As well as his article:<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/learn/fisheye/">"Fisheye to Rectilinear conversion: One way to obtain true wideangle images with small sensor DSLRs"</a>

No Zenitar lens can be made for EOS because Zenit Factory is about to be closed due to marketing issues, finally. Yes, some "tuning" companies (mostly Kiev-ones) offer a "EOS version", but it's still a M42 mount with EOS-to-M42 step-ring attached. Generally this little thing is Jolos-made, from non-anodized alluminium (silver-look). Of course, it's really cheaper to obtain a lens and a ring SEPARATELY.

I have used fish-eye for a short period of time; it works on EOS as "complete manual" one. Yeh, this lens is about of ten times cheaper than original fish-eye, and produces great result (for fish, of course). The only problem that is doesn't provide any filter mounting thread, and no inner (Zenit-proprietary) filter can be obtained nor produced. Only boundled with product (actually not usable).

This lens will be definetely a great setup for DSLR, but sometimes problematic on film SLR 'cause of all these light-correction issues.

Not an answer but another question.

Has anyone had experience with these Russion telephoto mirror lenses? I see that they have 1000mm lenses advertised on the site. I know about the general problems related to mirror lenses but this may be a way to get a Loooong lens if the quality is useable.

David