Just saw this over on the PDN forum. For those holding out hope that film (and other silver

imaging materials) have a chance:

We just posted news that Kodak has announced the end of black and white paper

production, slated for the end of 2005.

http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/prodtech/news/article_display.jsp?

vnu_content_id=1000962967

What do you all think about the news? How big of an announcement is this for the PDN

community?

--------------------

-----------------

David Schloss

Technology Editor/New Products Editor

Photo District News

At least they haven't stopped producing B&W film. As long as there's a market for film and there are still companies producing film cameras, then there will still be film. Companies that make film cameras would be good indicators of when film will go away since they put a lot of investment in making cameras that people may not want to/could use anymore.

Given the growing number of people printing traditionally-captured black & white images using digital output, and especially with the reportedly great dynamic range and rich blacks of Epson's new inkset, I think what this really means that traditional output usage is shrinking faster than traditional capture.

Kodak was never a leader in B%W papers unlike films like Tri-X and various T-Max, and developpers like D-76 and X-tol. It has also little impact on the company. So, it is not big news.

But it fits in a larger trend that worries wet lab users.

Film is not about to die but we will probably have less choices and higher prices. It's hard to say what will be left in 5 years...

I never used Kodak B&W papers. This is only good for the remaining producers of the

better B&W papers.

In the end we will probably all put out digitally. Like others said, the move from traditional

printing to digital goes faster than the shooting from film to chip. I shoot (B&W) film very

happily and put out on an inkjet system (be it a bit less happily, but it's improving).

It's only the death of Kodak b&w paper. So what ? The market at this time cannot support so many players. Consolidation in the industry has already started.

Traditionnal darkroom printers have so many papers to choose from, nobody will notice except Kodak paper users.

I still use b&w film it but have closed dowm my darkroom some five years ago. Filmscanning and digital printing will work to keep film alive for decades.

And now we hear that some of those who've sold their MF equipment are starting to regret it.

Kodak and Ilford would announce that they are getting out of traditional photo that I would not worry one bit. There are countless mfg/suppliers waiting to take their market share.

And just wait a few more years. Practically all traditionnal darkroom supplies will be a vailable only over the internet. And most traditional photo store who do not sell over the internet will have closed by then.

But traditional photo whose market share will decraese to about 10-15% will still be alive and kicking.