bucks for it". It's been tested/calibrated and it's spot on. I'm just

wondering how much money I should give him. It's at the very least 20 years

old, but it's in perfect shape. I don't know how much these things go for. I

would check on ebay but the company I'm doing contract work for blocks their

site. Anyway, what do you guys and gals think a fair price for this lightmeter

would be? He's such a nice guy, and I always enjoy talking photography with

him. He was also a co-worker of mine for a while at the REI in Denver, CO. So

I want to be generous.

Hi Mike...I have a Lunasix F. The Gossen meters are excellent, and there are a few models. Tey were all pretty expensive to buy new, but sell for reasonable prices used. Probably your best bet is to look on ebay for the model that you have, and see what they go for. I've just had a quick look, and there's a dozen or so listed at present. Obviously, somewhere around that price would be a fair price to pay. Stu.

Well, a new Luna pro is going to set you back over $400, but I don't suppose you're feeling THAT generous toward the guy.

Here in the UK, you can pick up a working Lunasix for around ᆪ30, that's about 45 bucks US. One in really nice condition with case and all might fetch ᆪ50 ($70), but not a lot more, I'd say.

However, the market might be a little different in the US.

Doesn't that meter use the mercury batteries that us in the USA cannot buy? The problem with fit-alike batteries is that they die gradually, giving false readings as they decline whereas the original battery would fail at once.

Or is my information outdated, incorrect?

FWIW, I had a Luna Pro in EX condition offered to me here for $75US. I declined because I was not sure of the battery facts.

PS: Is the mountaineer named Meyers by any chance?

Pico, Bogen sells a gadget that accepts a pair of SR-44 cells and fits the LunaSix/LunaPro battery compartment. Works a charm. Used to cost only $18, I b'lieve they're up to nearly $40.

Mike, a crappy old used LunaSix should cost no more than $25. An overhaul at Quality Light Metric -- just checked, Bogen doesn't seem to service LunaSixes any more -- will run $50-60. Note that newer LunaSixes don't run on mercury batteries; if your treasure does, well, then you may need a battery kit too. $75-80 is probably not too unfair to your friend.

Cheers,

Dan

John, I have an ailing LunaSix II, a perfectly fine LunaPro (= LunaSix III), and a perfectly fine Master V. I find the LunaSix a little easier to use than the Master V, but its only real advantage over the Master -- low light ability -- is wasted on me. Also a Minolta Flash Meter (the original one) that's neater/cooler than the others but just too big for field use.

Cheers,

Dan

I have the Luna Pro SBC. I love it. It's quality and accuracy far exceeds my greatest demands from a meter. For me it was the 'ultimate' meter, and the last one I would buy.

I paid $75.US for mine used. It's in really good condition, though the lettering is wearing thin on the case. I feel that i got a good fair deal. Sure, I would have liked to find one for $35. but that wasn't happening for me.

If I were in this position, I would give him $75.00 and no less. I think that would be fair. If that seems like too much, you can always hand it back and say 'no thank you.'