If you ever thought about doing an exhibition

bruno

- a few funny things that you might want to know -

(to Jeff: ok, this isn't strictly "street", but I'm always posting on

this forum and I think several people here might find the thing

interesting and/or funny... if you feel like "moderating" rather

delete than moving to another forum where I'm unknown)

I got an exhibition running in a cultural circle here in Duesseldorf.

Because of misunderstandings between me and the people running the

place, I'm there three evenings a week and on weekends in the

afternoon to keep it open.

The interesting part of it is that I can directly see people's

reactions to my photos... what they look more, how do they react...

this kind of stuff.

First of all: all people coming by, are liking them. There are a few

who just cross the pictures with a glance, the most stop on them a

long time. A few pictures which received the highest rating on

photo.net, are completely overlooked in the exhibition. In the real

world nobody cares about things like composition and tones, but they

cope only with their emotional impact.

The place has four fridges filled with different kinds of beers. So,

when I'm bored, I drink some good german beer.

I get time to read.

Sometimes the place is full, not because the postcards I've spread

around had any effect, but just because the place organizes regularly

events... then all the people (mostly designers, photographers and

other "hip" people in their 30's) have a chance to look and discuss

while drinking a couple of beers.

I guy proposed me to do something together about Cuba. He's been there

sometime and also met the Foreign Affairs minster. He had a diplomatic

Visa to get there.

Yesterday I arrived in the afternoon thinking that nobody would have

been there. I brought with me a book I bought of Diane Arbus, which I

didn't have the time to "read" yet... then I discovered that 4 of the

people of this place were celebrating their birthday... and each of

them thought the others would have told me... they apologized, I said

there was no pb until I could join the party. Of course.

Beer. Cocktails. Sausages.

The Arbus book was a wonderful excuse to mingle with a few girls and

then introduced myself as the author of the photographs on the walls.

People were asking me how could I get so close to people with my

camera... I was answering whatever bullshit was coming up my drunken

mind and they were just fascinated by my words.

Sometimes the afternoons or the evenings are quite long, with nobody

dropping by. Sometimes I "pull" people from the road... sometimes I

sit on a sofa and read a book. Sometimes a friend drops by and we have

a couple of beers together in a room that has become the extension of

my living room (and actually larger than my whole flat).

So... no print sold until now. Everybody saying how good they are (and

I can see that they're sincere). Was hoping to sell a lot, I got to

know a lots of new people, instead, some of them very interesting or

warm or friendly.

If you ever thought about doing an exhibition: it's stressing, it

might be frustrating if you don't sell, it's a lot of work and

money... but it's damn fun!

cheers,

b.

Having had 2 businesses of my own and being in Aerospace work for some 25 years now, I actually almost opened a Gallery last year, finding a low-rent store front. But...in Tucson, photography does NOT sell well, unless you are very pricey and well established. Etherton Gallery has this territory. So, other photographers show in public places, like the downtown library, or try a small supplementary exhibits in art galleries. Or..several times a year, they get together in a local studio and have a combined showing (This is a lot of fun!!) The largest show space is at the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona, but thanks to the University it is well hidden and NO advice on parking space is offered. (Academics and business management appear to be genetically uncombinable) On weekends when parking IS available, the Center confesses that it is lucky to have 100 visitors...So you see, Bruno...PHOTO.NET is THE best exhibit space...!!!

I am going to have an exhibition at a busy NYC photo lab next month so there will be enough people who are interested in photography looking at my photos.

I will also put some printed notes there to direct them to my "real exhibitions" here at photo.net ;-)

for me the exhibition is a personal challenge to review my work, critique it, select out from it based on a directed idea or goal and provide motivation for printing. it is about sharing a vision and hopefully getting some feedback. basically, though, nothing sells. any price that is halfway fair to the amount of labor put in will scare away 99% of the potential buyers unless you have a gallery that actively promotes your work to an educated clientele. then, of course, they take 50%. sometimes work on photo.net sells, though. :)

the 'artsy' or 'hip' group are the one's looking and enjoying and talking...not buying! :P you've got the wrong clientelle coming through.

for the past two years, i've had a small gallery at a local club/restaurant. we have 1 'gala'/opening night, where we invite tons of people; partents friends, friends, anyone...

i've sold and covered costs on both events. but, it wasn't my artsy friends doing so. and for takaaki. may be great to get your name around by displaying at a lab, just don't count on another photographer purchasing any work. could happen, but i think rare :D

cheers

I put on an exhibition of press photography a few years ago at my local library. No-one asked to buy any prints (I've no idea what I'd have done if they had) but I hung around while people were looking at the pictures and heard some pleasing comments (whoever said that 'eavesdroppers hear no good of themselves'?)

Interestingly enough, I did get some work as a result of the exhibition, so they are worth the trouble if you're in that line.<div>00CYhL-24162584.jpg.d76d6f01e892f989aa538e6419b35a0d.jpg</div>

I recently showed some of my work (my "nature" photos) at our local public library - they have free exhibition space and exhibits change monthly. I was all gung-ho for it - made sure everything was matted and framed with top-notch achival materials, printed up flyers announcing my first exhibit (even gave it a title, "A Closer Look...", mounted short blurbs about each photo, had my "artist statement" and contact info, etc, etc. I spent a fair amount of money, thinking I would sell some prints to cover my costs.<br>

<br>

I was amazed at how many people stopped to *look* at the photos - actually taking time to see what the photo was and to read the captions. I didn;t spend much time hanging around the exhibit, but if I extrapolate the numbers of people seeing my work from the short time I spent there it would easily be in the several hundreds. It was cool to see reactions and hear comments and even take down information. I was very pleased to have so many people see my work.<br>

<br>

In the end, I had one *inquiry* about buying a print - and a subsequent follow-up, "I'll let you know when I'm ready to buy" - I haven't heard back again. So, my dreams of selling a few prints went unrealized and I am out some money (though the nicely framed prints now reside on my walls and some will be used as gifts for family and friends), but what a blast to share with so many people.<br>

<br>

I just created a presentation here at PN to showcase the work I showed in "A Closer Look...". Can be found here:<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id=290579">A Closer Look...</a><br>

<br>