dRebel: Autorotation?

kevin_break

I'm having the nagging suspicion that perhaps my cute dRebel can

autorotate... or the EXbrowser can... when I upload to the computer.

<BR>

I've been using advice from... umm... Sean, using Irfanview et.al. to

do this, but it just seems retardo that the camera won't just spit

them out upright (verticals) when it's connected, or the card is.

<BR>Does it have this feature or not?<BR>

TIA

Steve, I looked at your link, and under "autorotate" it says it only rotates the image on the back screen, which is totally retarded. It makes the photo smaller to look at.

<BR>

I keep the image large and turn the camera over.

<BR>

"Doesn't actually rotate the JPEG file, but marks its orientation."<BR>

says the DP review linked.

<BR><BR>

dangit

<p>Hmm ... I see that text in the description of of the "rotate" feature, higher up the page, but not under "auto rotate." However, I believe you're right; auto rotation simply puts an orientation tag into the EXIF header. Page 2 of the review says this, as does page 2 of the reviews of the 350D and 20D.</p>

<p>I tested it with my 20D and found the same thing. I took two shots, one landscape and one portrait. The EXIF tags for image height and width say that both pictures are wider than they are tall, which I believe describes the height and width of the JPEG. The EXIF tag for orientation differs. An app which is aware of the EXIF tags (IrfanView) displays the files correctly. An app which is unaware of the EXIF tags (Windows Picture and Fax Viewer) always displays the files in landscape orientation.</p>

<p>It would be reasonable to think that the drebel takes the same approach. So you need a modern, EXIF-aware file viewer in order for this feature to work properly. Sorry for sending you in the wrong direction earlier.</p>

<p>(This isn't something I'd noticed before, for a couple of reasons. I shoot RAW+JPEG on my 20D. The JPEGs are basically quick thumbnails to help me sort out which photos ought to be deleted and to find specific images in a batch quickly; I use IrfanView as my graphic file viewer, so it displays them properly. The RAW files are sucked into Photoshop Elements 3.0 by way of Adobe Camera Raw, which understands orientation; when I write them out after editing them, they're written in the correct orientation instead of using an EXIF tag to say "rotate this file when viewing it.")</p>

Thanks, Mr. Steve.

<BR>

I'm dinking around in the ZoomBrowser which I suppose I could... start using... <BR>

However (not your problem) I'm loading the card directly into the computer's card reader and ZB isn't recognizing the card. It says "camera not found" and to use the "online camera window help".

<BR>

I wonder where that is. I haven't found a link yet on ZB.<BR><BR>

Now, when I close ZB and open CameraWindow, it just says "camera not found" even though I just want to read the card.<BR><BR>

NOW I'm beginning to remember why I don't use ZoomBrowser and so on. I like how it looks, but if it won't retrieve and autorotate, why, I could just stick with Irfanview.<BR><BR> Funny that the FREE program works fine and the one I actually paid for... I can't figure out.

<BR>

herm.