Second body or 2/75

Have Minilux + M6 with 2/28,2/35,2/50,2.8/90 lenses and very happy

with all. Would you spend money to body, say 6ttl(0.85) or the new

2/75? Do quite some weddings for friends but buying both is not

possible. What would you recommend? Thanks for your ideas/comments.

You have a nice little system going there. The 75mm focal length is sandwiched roughly halfway between the 50 and 90 and too close to both to have all three. IMHO, your next lens should be a 24 or a 21.

Prices on new Leica gear will increase by about 15% across the board as of July 1 and you will find it very difficult, if not impossible, to find bargains because of Leica's new pricing policy. Prices on used gear will surely reflect this.

Whatever is on your "want" list should be gotten now before the price increase. Right now a used M6 is a best buy in Leicaville (if you can find one).

If you want to buy new, may I suggest Tony Rose (www.popflash.com). Be sure to do whatever you plan to do BEFORE July 1st.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

If I were shooting a wedding I would want a second body.

Al is the guy for this thread to give you good advice.

Are you shooting flash or natural light?

If it were me I would sell the Minilux perhaps & keep either the 28 or 35 - whichever you use more & sell the other; keep the 50 for sure; maybe sell the 90 & get the 75 if the f/stop & natural light is a factor or get a clean used 75 'lux; Consider getting an M3 or another M6 to mount the 50 on & put either the 28/35 or the 75/90 on the M6 & swap out as needed.

I believe it was Al who recommended this but a great idea is to have your body straps short for say the wide lens body & longer for the standard or longer lenses body so there is no confusion while shooting. Plus it keeps the bodies from clanging into each other. Also - with two bodies you can load 72 frames of film at a time.

If you keep the Minilux maybe keep it in the mix for the "out of film at the wrong time" moments for a back-up.

If you decide to sell the Minilux - I may be interested:)

Good Luck!

Second body(.85) would make sense. Leica is not the fastest in changing film. Think of all the time you could loose if you run out of film. Your system is more than good enough. I am also trying to add another Leica M body, and I only have two lenses. 40/2 and 90/2.8.

Second body. You have pleanty of glass. Pretty soon you have so much you can`t carry it and then it is decision time everytime you leave home.

I would not dare shoot a wedding without a backup camera and neither would any self-respecting phogographer. You always can have color and monochrome or high speed and low speed film.

Get a second body! You can always do a fast lens swap between 2 bodies and give yourself 72 frames with which to work. Get an incident light meter! You don't need another metered body. And you sure don't need glass between the 50 and 90mm you already have. Many of us almost never use anything between 35 and 90.

Another vote for 2nd body. Make sure this next body is the same v/f mag as your first.

Now, for the third body, experiment with the .58 v/f. (I lust after the 28/2.0 but, for now, my Canon 28/2.8 LTM answers every need in this focal length.)

75mm? Yes but buy the Heliar 75/2.5 first to see if you like this length. If you don't, you can eBay the Heliar for close to what you paid after a few months. If you like, be good and ask Santa for the 75 'Cron.

I'm with Al, a second body makes for less lens changing and more film loaded and ready to shoot during the wedding. And if you don't have backup in case something fails you won't get a second chance to get wedding shots and you will fail your big responsibility to record the wedding for your friends.

Andre, I too do a number of weddings each year for friends & recommendations. I have an identical lens stable to yours plus the excellent 75mm heliar. I would NOT however even contemplate doing a wedding with anything less than two bodies. This gives you the essential insurance factor and the option of doing both B/W and colour. Actually I use two M6s for this purpose and have my originsal M4 as the insurance. The cost of the Heliar is a bargain, so I would suggest one of these plus a secondhand M6 classic (the cheapest of the used M6 bodies around). A second body is a MUST have.

A 2nd body dangling from your neck makes you look like a pro (if you ain't) and people take you seriously for the shoot session. A 75mm/1.4 Summilux or 75/2 Apo-Summicron unused inside your camera bag does not help to project your image as the real 'photo guy'. So get the second body and instil that serious look on your clients! The psychological aspect of a pro from the so-so, I suppose.

if i got all you have and still got more money to spend, well, i go with a second body. after all, you have the 50 and 90 lenses.

btw, get the m6 the same model as the one you have. you don't want to learn and remember two bodies with opposite speed dials (m6 classic vs. ttl).

Looks like everyone is telling you to get a second body.

A contrarian view: I'd get the 75/2. Because getting a spanking new lens is delightful, while getting a second body is mere pain avoidance. A new lens is something that gives pleasure right away; a second body you'll only appreciate when your M6 fails (a low probability occurence, lowered even more by preventive CLA's)

Also, think of the bragging rights you'll have owning a 75/2.

The Minilux looks like a good enough backup in the case of the M6 failing. Or, get a beater Bessa-whatever as a backup.

For the 50 and 90 you might consider an M4 as a second body (original Wetzlar model). Its 90mm frame's much better than in the M6/M7/MP. Unbeatable in combination with 1.25x, plus there's only 4 frames instead of 6, AND you'll get the faster rewind krank.

Norbert