Headshot and Depth of Field

jun_ea

It's always a compromise between depth of field and diffraction, and the amount of light you need for proper exposure is another constraint.

<p>

So the final answer depends on how close you are, what effect you like, how close your background is, whether your background needs to be blurred, how much light you have available, how big a print you'll be making, etc.

<p>

Don't be afraid to experiment with anything from wide open to fully stopped down. In fact, if you have time and a cooperative model, take a sequence at every available aperture and see what you like. If you don't have a cooperative model, get a mannequin to practice on.

<p>

When you're shooting close to wide open, don't forget to focus on the eyes instead of the nose or ears.

<p>

But I'd guess that something in the f/5.6 to f/16 range will be good, perhaps f/8 or f/11. Don't be suprised if the depth of field/diffraction effects of a one-stop difference in aperture are too small to notice, especially on small prints.

I just want to thank everyone for generously offering a suggestion. I went with f8 at 75mm (on 1.6 aspect ratio), with a shooting distance of about 6 feet. It came out okay, I think. Thanks, again. I'm grateful for the help.