background to bring my whole image together into perspective. Has

anyone done this or have any ideas. I am looking for an exposure

calculater or guide to put me in the right direction. Like would it

be better to take the first exposure at night ,then re ajust for the

second exposure or take my first exposure at sunset with some light

then wait till total darkness to do the second with the light

painting.

Kevin,

This is a very non-technical response, but I hope has some validity. Personally, I think you're better off shooting the night/light painting image first. The black or night areas of the scene will remain dark and only the light painting effects would be recorded (of course depending on how long your night exposure is) Then, secondly, shooting the sunrise image, the dark areas will get filled in by the sunlit areas. When I've tried this in the past (not very often), when you expose the daylight/sunrise image first, you may get a fogging effect after exposing the night image. In other words, you can't make a light/exposed piece of film go dark after the fact, but you can certainly re-expose a dark/unexposed part of the film again. Not sure if that makes sense, just my .02.

Lon

There was an English guy made some pinting with light back in the eighties! Sorry I don't remember his name but very nice images that was. I have done some simmilar things but than I took a photo at sunset and later when it was over in the dark I lighten up some trunks in the foreground just a little bit with flash!

Order of exposure should have no effect--film is in effect a photon counter, the total is all

that matters. There might be a slight increase in reciprocity failure on already well-

exposed area of the film, but that won't be an issue in the scenario you describe.

<br><br>

To see a few styles of light painting look over at <A href="http://

www.thenocturnes.com">www.thenocturnes.com</a>, both in the "Gallery" section and in

the "Exhibits" section, including the "Exhibits Archive".