I've read someplace (sorry that's not too helpful, but I can't

remember where) that the Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5X Macro is the only

"consumer" lens that gets you beyond 1:1 (for Canon EOS, anyway). This

sort of suggests that there may be <i>professional</i> alternatives

out there. Buying the MP-E 65 would be a stretch for my budget right

now, so a professional lens along those lines would probably be

completely out of the question. Still, I can't help but wonder if

there's something else I might look for used, or at tag sales (a guy

can dream), before I take the plunge and buy an MP-E 65.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Mark! That's exactly what I needed to know (and suspected, to be honest). I'm well aware of other options for getting beyond 1:1 with tubes and reverse lenses and the like, and I'm sure these are well covered in other threads and tutorials, so there's really no need for others to offer advice along these lines here (at least not on my behalf). Thanks again.

Just as an FYI, the MP-E 65mm, though tough to use, is an absolute gem for true macro work. I do lots of bug stuff and when I want true macro its my first choice. I have done the extension tube/reversed lens thing before and the MP-E is soooo much easier. Its also WAY sharper at the same magnification. Looking at the way its built...its really little more than a 65mm lens (reversed?) mounted on a variable extension tube...but done so with top-notch craftsmanship. I don't have much posted from my work with this lens, but I've been amazed by its performance.

If you look ouside of the EOS mount, there are plenty of 1X-5X macro options at different price ranges. You can use an EOS adapter for these macro lens. For example, Spiratone make a number of low cost T-mount macro lens that you offen can find them for less then $50 (e.g.: 35mm/f3.5 macrotar). At the $100-$200 range, you can find sample such as Leitz's 50mm makro summer (note: a bit rare). Beyond that, there are Leitz photar and zeiss Luminar macro lens at $250-$400 range. These macro lens yield 1X to 20X magnifications. More common, Minolta and Olympus also made bellow macro lens at these price range. At the Canon MPE65 price range, Nikon made a good number of defraction limited high resolution macro lens (e.g.: 800lp/mm 28mm/f1.8 ultra macro)

Here is a sample (partial US dime image with EOS 5D, 35mm f3.5 Spiratone macrotar)<div>00Fw8S-29270084.jpg.72f0958c057e4d6c471c22d0a2f9eb93.jpg</div>

The MP-E is a great lens, unless you have a good ordinary macro lens covering infinity to life size like the EF 100 ro EF 180 you may be best to get those first, as I am sure you know the MP-E starts from life size.

If you do go for the MP-E then a macro flash is strongly advised, the MT-24EX is the one to get IMHO. Note tjhere is a little known lens hood to go with the twin flash and the MP-E.

With a macro flash it is reasonably handholdable up to about 3:1.

I have some info about Canon macro kit on my web page at http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/Macro_Equipment.htm if you are interested.

Thanks everyone--this is more than I expected. I do have the EF-S 60mm macro, so most of my close-up needs up to 1:1 are covered. Tommy: I've never heard of any of those lenses, and as a born cheapskate, I'm awfully tempted. I'll look into them further, but my guess is that with the MP-E 65 within reach, I'm better off springing for one of those.

<I>Thanks everyone--this is more than I expected. I do have the EF-S 60mm macro, so most

of my close-up needs up to 1:1 are covered. Tommy: I've never heard of any of those lenses,

and as a born cheapskate, I'm awfully tempted. I'll look into them further, but my guess is

that with the MP-E 65 within reach, I'm better off springing for one of those.</i><P>

I think you're going to find that the lenses Tommy mentioned are for use with bellows -- big,

awkward, clumsy, probably no automatic diaphragm, etc. The MP-E is far simpler to use

than a bellows rig. I've had some experience with both and the difference in ease of use --

particularly for things that move, such as insects -- is like night and day.

• 1 year later...