Leica timer question

anhtu

Hi, I was wondering if those with the Leica self timers or any self

timers(that they use successfully with their M cameras) can help me

out - I need to know what is the extension length that the pin extends

when it is fully extended.<div>00CvQR-24739084.jpg.ba78295e48a59668f9a060d239f5a62c.jpg</div>

I don't think there's a maximum since there is a firm limit stop as to how far the shutter can be depressed.

That leaves us with having to find the minimum. This is equal to the travel of the shutter button just after tripping the shutter.

If I have to dimension how much the pin should jut out fully extended, I'd pick

Extension (max) = 1.5 X shutter button travel

which gives you between 20-40% margin of error.

Alternatively, just measure a release that works with a Leica. Simple.

• 4 years later...

<p>Reviving this old thread cause it just came up in a search i was doing. Just tonight I was measuring the exact thing the op is asking with some of my cameras trying to get my mechanical releases back in working order.</p>

<p>The camera i'm using is a Leica M4. I have a few different timers, I attach them to the camera via a u-hook extension to minimize mechanical vibration (<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/70981-REG/General_Brand_NPUA20_U_Hook_Adapter.html">u-hook at b 'n h</a> )</p>

<p>To get my timers to trip the shutter and return i've measured that 5mm is the distance of travel for this camera. This trips the shutter <em>and</em> returns. You can probably go 6mm but much farther than that and the timer will extend past the travel of the shutter and lock up. I don't like having it do this as it can cause problems on other types of cameras/shutters.</p>

<p>My 500c/m does the same at 9mm. (so much for using the same timer on each). The 500c/m shutter release seems to have a lot more play in it (but maxes at 9mm) where as the leica one is is pretty well fixed.</p>

<p>YMMV, i've done this a few times before and there's some measured variation in the different cameras. The assembly tolerances of the u-hook extension is less than exact as well.</p>

<p>Hope this is useful to someone,</p>

<p>i'm glad there are still people out there using cameras that don't run on batteries!</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ebokeh.com">www.ebokeh.com</a></p>