Hasselblad FE lens Older 2000FC body compatible?

tariq_gibran

I recently purchased a 110 FE lens to use on my 2000FC body. This lens is the one with the

gold databus contacts and for some reason, it seems to be stuck wide open at F2. Even the

Depth of Field preview button has no effect at any aperature. Shooting the lens with the back

off at 1 sec. confirms that the lens is not stopping down. Is there a possible compatibility

isssue with this lens and the older 2000FC body or is it the case that the Diaphragm is just

simply not working and broken?

It is most likely an issue with the lens itself, and not a compatability issue. Now just one

question, what are you referring to as a Depth of Field preview button? If I recall correctly,

it is a switch. I'll have to check my lenses (F's) when I get home.

Taras

On the left side of the lens is a sliding knurled lever which, as I understand it, one slides or

presses down and it clicks into place and the aperture stops down to the taking aperture.

Lightly pressing up from the opposite side of this lever releases it. At any F stop, this has

no effect. This is not the button closer to the body which when pressed engages and

couples the shutter speed to the aperture. Nothing thus far I have tried seems to close the

aperture down, either on the body or off. Called David Odess and unfortunately he does

not work on the 110 FE. I have a call into Hasselblad NJ Service center right now. The

person I purchased the lens from wants me to confirm with Hasselblad that the lens is

indeed not operating correctly before he will take it back which is why I asked about a

possible compatibility issue with the older 2000FC. My 80C lens works perfectly on this

body.

The FE2.0/110 will work with any 2000/200 body, including the 2000FC. On your lens, the diaphragm leafs are sticking. I have just faced the same problem on my F2.0/110, the leafs came back after pressing the preview button a few times and turning the aperture ring. This is not the final remedy and I have sent the lens to the Zeiss works in Oberkochen for repair.

Thank you Roland and Taras. I suspected the lens was at fault but wanted to be sure I was

not overlooking some compatibility issue and also I was somewhat surpised that a Zeiss

Shutterless lens which looks like new and has been babied would have any sort of issue to

begin with. I would have thought that the shutterless F-FE lenses would be much more

reliable than say the Shuttered lenses. What are the chances that both Roland and I ran into

the exact same issue with the same lens? Thats a bit worrisome.

I also had this problem with the 110/2 FE that I bought used. From what I have heard, it is

the hamartia of this otherwise wonderful lens. I had my local repairman fix it...no point

sending it to Germany just for that. In any case, it seems that there is very little room in the

lens barrel for all the diaphragm components (so much glass!), and they tend to get stuck.

Mine had oil on the blades as well, so I suspect that it is somehow prone to leakage from the

helicals or somehwere else. I would make sure that you "excercise" this lens fairly often, even

if you are not using it. Just playing with the depth of field preview every once in awhile might

go a long way to keeping it unstuck.

Stuart made a good point, my F2.0/110 was bought used, it came with minor marks. It is hint that it has not been used much during the last years. I am thinking about storing it with the DoF preview button depressed in the future. I do not worry about the item, because the 110mm Planar is a wonderfull lens and it will see some use. BTW, Carl Zeiss is offering a full inspection for their lens if you sent them to Oberkochen.

Thanks to everyone for your answears and opinions. I have sent he lens to Hasselblad

Service center in NJ for inspection and will decide whether or not to pay to have it fixed or

send it back to the seller as they have offered a refund. Looking through all the Hasselblad

archives here and other places on the net, I have never seen mention of this issue before with

the F-FE lenses. Somewhat surpising as it seems to affect a lot of these lenses at some point,

or at least the 110. I wonder if the repair by Hasselblad or Zeiss replaces either some of the

fulty parts used(Nylon) with more robust parts or uses newer Lubricants which may be less

likely to give this problem. It almost sounds like a poor design of the diaphragm.

Tariq -- I have heard of this problem with the 110, but only with the 110mm. I just think it

is a difficult design issue. The aperture blades are very large, and there are many of them,

so fitting them all in such a small area in the barrel is quite difficult. I have not heard of

this problem with any of the other FE lenses. I would not agree that these lenses are less

robust than other Hasselblad lenses. The only thing that is slightly problematic about

them is the aperture blades...the rest of the functionality seems to be fantastic. And

frankly, I am willing to put up with the occasionally stuck aperture blade as long as there

are many blades and they make a nice circular aperture. This is one area where I really

prefer FE lenses over CFE lenses -- I cannot stand the pentagonal aperture openings in

Hasselblad lenses...I really don't like pentagon shaped highlights showing up in my out of

focus areas.

Stuart, Good Points. It is a very Beautiful lens and I really love the look it gives. I would hope

though that if I were to get it repaired through Hasselblad, this problem would not show up

again. Even after you have had yours repaired, are you saying you still get picture ruining

sticking blades from time to time? If so, perhaps a fix through Hasselblad versus your local

shop would make a difference?

Tariq -- No, that is not what I was saying. Actually, quite the other way around. When I

bought the lens it had the problems, so the camera shop sent it to Hasselblad Japan

(where I was living at the time), and they repaired it. But when it came back it would still

stick at f/4, so when I came back to the US I brought it to my local repairman. He fixed it

and it has worked beautifully ever since. The best repair people are not necessarily at the

company's facilities. For example, with Leica cameras the best service outside of the main

headquarters are at people like CRR Luton, DAG, Golden Touch and the like...not at Leica

USA or Leica UK. I think the best way to do it is to find a good repair person and just trust

in them. If they are local...even better! That way you can go down there if there is a

problem, and it is easier to build a lasting relationship. <P> Q -- I am sorry to hear of

your other problems. I actually only have the 50mm FE lens in addition to the 110, so

perhaps it is different? I think it is probably more of a problem in the lenses that have less

room in the barrel, like the 110, 150 and 250...