Leica-like Pocket Digital?

Please excuse this somewhat OT post. Are any of the current crop of vest pocket digi-

cams worthy street shooters? Such as quick to turn on and shoot the first frame, short lag

time. fast lenses, ability to turn off the auto-flash, turn off the TFT display with optical

view finder, etc.?

Thanks...

Try the Lumix Panasonic DMC-FX7 which is equipped with a Leica designed DC Vario Elmarit. I have just purchased one. Read reviews on this camera. After years of using LTM and M Leicas, this is so easy. Leica would do very well to bring this to the market under the Leica Brand. Do your self a favour Leica.....

I have searched for the same thing. I have owned the Canon S70 and the G6. I have a Hexar, Contax T3 and the Ricoh GR1v. The only camera that really works for me is the the Olympus 7070. It is large, but it does really work. Check out the article about Alex Majoli points and shoots for some inspiration http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844-7845

It really works, but it takes some time to learn and configure the Olympus 7070, it is the best I have experienced so far. Fuji seems to be approaching this capability. There new cameras have an ISO of 1600 but they do not have viewfinders yet, just the LCD.

I'm still using a Canon G3. A little large for the pocket but a great 2.0 lens, decent chip and processor, and raw capability. The G6 can only be better. I have a few portfolios on Photo.net done with the G3; Market Street, Chinatown & the Mission. Alex Majoli likes the Olympus 4040, 5040 etc and he gets great results. Mostly it's not the song. It's the singer.

http://www.photo.net/photo/2457890

I have Canon SD20 and like it very much. It's small and sturdy. I keep it in my jeans pocket; something that I could never do with any other camera except Kiev 35a (a Minox clone). Plus, it has a great fixed 35/2.8 lens. The camera lacks the viewfinder, though - you have to use LCD. Other than this, it's great. I have other digital P&S cameras - Panasonic Lumix and Nikon Coolpix, and use SD20 most of the time, moslty beacuse of its size/build quality.<div>00Cvr1-24747584.thumb.jpg.9acc101f9c71b70587f08ed6775fb197.jpg</div>

I second the Canon G3. Here is a picture of a 10 foot tall wooden 12th Century (approx 1150-1200) Japanese Buddha in the Museum of the Rhode Island School of Design. Hand-held, no flash (not allowed in museum). The Buddha is made entirely of wood, no nails, and pieced together like an interlocking puzzle. The room is kept dark to preserve the wood and to create a sense of peace and calmness. There is nothing else in the room. One can feel the <i>shakti</i> in the room.

<p>

The other delight about digital point and shoots that is scarcely mentioned is the ability to take movies (with sound), in the case of the G3, they are 3 minutes long. Take one after the other and you have a wonderful record of your little ones without the hassle and annoyance of a video digicam.<div>00Cw1s-24751384.jpg.bb47c7dd5e3e7fb9cf6842de9b2b7368.jpg</div>

I had to buy a nice digital P&S for my brother last week and came back with a Rollei dr 5, which I found big enough to use with large hands, has a large LCD display, a great lens with wideangle capacity and IMHO is a much nicer camera than any of the Sony products.