What replaces the F100 for remote location shooting?

david_kelly1

Light, rugged and easy on batteries,The F100 has been the camera of

choice for Photographers like the late Galen Rowell, Steve McCurry

and others who carry all their own gear and often work in harsh

conditions far from power sources. My friend Gary Braasch just

finished a book on global warming shot mostly in the polar regions- he

left his digital gear at home and used F100s powered by lithium AAs,

I don't see anything in Nikon's new lineup suitible for weeks or

months in Antactica, the Congo or Tibet. What does Nikon have to offer

this sort of documentary shooter?

Well, the F100 haven't disappeared from the market just because Nikon is not making new

ones. There are still plenty on shelves and a used F100 is going for little more than $300 on

eBay. Nikon is also offering support for film slrs for at least 10 years, so I don't think this

workhorse of a camera is going to leave the scene anytime soon for those who really need it.

Seeing as how Nikon has just disco'd the production of most film cameras, isn't this sort of

moot? Your friend (or you) could buy an F6, which it seems that Nikon will be selling for a

while. Or, your friend (or you) could stock up on F100's, which are pretty readily available

on the used market for about $400 if you were that worried about it. Or, buy a couple of

F5's, which have a documented duty life of 1,000,000 exposures, for $500-$600. I am an

avid outdoor shooter and pretty rough on my gear, though not as rough as these guys you

have mentioned and the F5 (or even pro-sumer N90/F90) is as rugged as I'll ever need and

not all that heavy, either.

What is the reason for asking this question? I'm curious because there are so many

solutions available that I can't believe a guy who puts food on the table as a photographer

would worry about it. And if film was his preferred medium, he could just purchase

another

brand of gear if that's what it came down to.

Solar powered chargers, DC inverters and 9V chargers are all readily available.

Modern DLSR battery life is excellent, generally 1000+ frames per charge. I know at least one

D70 that went on a three month alpine expedition to the Indian Himalaya.

Keep in mind that all the locations you list have significant infrastructure. -b

Thanks Brad for actually answering my question. I didn't realize dslrs were so economical of power. Of course I know that there are F100s and (also discontinued)FM3as in the pipeline but that's temporary. I asked in the first place because Nikon sponsored Everest and K2 expeditions for decades and otherwise positioned itself as *the* camera to take when heading out back of beyond, and now seemed to have axed its best field cameras.

Just to add to David's comment: I think the fact that these cameras are still seemingly so much in service (you can click on 'image information' on the Natinal Geo. web site and more often than not it was taken with an F5 or F100 or EOS) makes the sudden retirement of film body production all the more staggering. I just bought a new f100 last june...And to add insult to injury, I had to sell my 8-track player and beta VCR to get it! :)

Well, the F6 is a sensational camera that is likely to come down in price but the subject says consider its weight. In fact consider these quick numbers Nikon F6 34.4 ounces and Mamiya 7 II 32.4 ounces...

A lighter weight Nikon pro camera (going forward) ? I could see an F100 with a little sophistication taken out, or an N80 with a metal body, or an FM3A kitted with the detachable motor drive...

I personally haven't seen big differences in build quality between the professional models and the prosumer grade. Yes, the pros have metal bodies but it's not a habit of mine to be dropping my cameras frequently.

I've run some of my prosumer cameras through adverse conditions (fine sand, snow, torrential rains, freezing rain, brutal cold)and they all continued to function. I'm currently working in Antarctica and during the coldest days of the winter, the D70 was bulletproof. Granted, I haven't left it outside overnight and attempted a photo shoot in the morning but I have had it outside all day long in very cold conditions and it functioned normally other than the lcd screen being sluggish.

As for batteries, I agree that the F100 seems to go on and on with one set of batteries but I've been very happy with my D70. There are ways around the power issue, tho. First, I've used rechargeables versus throw-away lithiums for environmental reasons. And, other than explorers, everyone coming to Antarctica has a power supply. For other locales, there are the lieghtweight, backpackable solar panels for recharging power supplies.

Cheers,

-bob

Giampi, the Guardian story is fluff and the worst kind of reporting. Apparently the writer didn't do any research and merely jumped off the same cliff as the web rumor mill mongerers.

Read the actual press release on the Nikon USA site (and other Nikon sites):

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/micro_stories.pl?ACCT=130907&TICK=NIKON&STORY=/www/story/01-11-2006/0004247596&EDATE=Jan+11,+2006

Nikon says they are "reshaping" their lineup and specifically said that they will continue to carry the F6, the Cosina-made FM-10 and the 85mm f/2.8 PC-Nikkor.

The F6 certainly gets fewer rolls per set of batteries than the F5 (I know it's not really fair to compare 2xCR123s with 8xLi AAs) but still - we're talking 10s of rolls vs 100s of rolls. I don't go out with my F6 without a spare set or two - I'll happily take the risk with the F5 if the indicator is showing full.

I know there's a battery grip for the F6, but I don't trust it not to compromise the environmental seal.

I have done some shooting in arctic regions (FM2N and F100, solar-charging the latter), and I would have shared David's concerns if we were talking about a no-power device to carry in hostile regions: it is worrying that those manual workhorses will not be produced anymore!

However, I fail to see the problem in the F100 vs. F6 vs. digital discussion: the F100 does need some power, and even more so if you use lots of AF in cold weather, and we seem to be talking weeks or months. Now, once you can solar-charge one of these cameras, you can solar-charge them all. To me the matter is rather how much gear you can carry with you to deploy solar panels or how many spare lithium AAs you can really pack, rather than what you are going to power with them. Moreover, often you have to power flashlights, GPS's, VHF radios, satellite phones and a few other gadgets: for remote-location shooting I would believe that powering a camera is not the dominating part of the equation.

A funny thought: there are already hand-chargers for mobile phones... you turn the wheel long enough and your battery comes up. For as tedious as it can look, I do not exclude you can hack something to charge your camera batteries this way as well!

A final remark: once you've enough power, digital storage might have an edge in volume of gear to bring along over film storage.

Canon wins. I can't see such an investment in travel and photography going into the used market for their gear. The National Geographic type photographer will pick Canon for their film shooting equipment and it makes since to use their DSLR gear also. Canon is going to take it all apparently. Their is Leica for a truly rugged gear if the lens limitations will work for the photographer.

Nolan