Get the IS version or get 2 L lenses?

felix_ing

Hi there,

Please give me some opinions as to my lens purchase dilemma.

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM = $2300 CND

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM = $1500 CND

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM = $1050 CND

Now I'm a freelancer, might potentially do some runway shoots but I

intend to do mostly fashion portraits (I have just rented the IS

version and will be testing it out tmr during a fashion show, if I

fall in love with it, then that's a different story, but I don't

even have the non-IS version to compare...) Would you rather not buy

the IS version 70-200 and add $250 for 2 L lenses? And yes I still

shoot film so if I have to get dSLR I'd have no choice but to go 30d

or even xt! (since my budget priority is given to L lenses)

I've talked to 2 photographers and they say IS is a MUST.

Unless what you will be shooting makes IS manditory, I would suggest that you get the non-IS and the 24-70mm. Later on, if you decide that you really need IS, you can sell the 70-200mm non-IS for nearly what you paid for it and then upgrade.

A little off topic, but before you spend $2300 CDN on the IS lens, check B&H's prices. On the other hand, the 24-70 price you list is less than B&H's. Is it used?

The non-IS 70-200mm is supposed to be a little bit sharper than the IS version. Aside from that, just try turning the IS off on the one you're renting, and see how it goes.

I would think that for your application, the IS would be very helpful.

I have 3 IS lenses, the 24-105, the 70-200 and the 75-300. The IS may not be essential on the 25-105, but at or beyond 200mm, I find it difficult to handhold steadily enough except in bright, outdoor conditions. At those distances, camera shake is magnified too much. Of course, the problem is further magnified 1.6-fold on a non-FF digital camera. I use my 70-200 for my children's indoor concert photos, and I find the IS essential, even with the ISO turned way up on my Rebel XT. I'd say get the IS. You won't have any regrets.

Two bodies are a must; one for the 24-70L and one for the 70-200L IS. When things are happening fast, it is not the time to be changing lenses.

It only takes one picture saved by IS or by switching body/lens combo to realize the benifits of such a kit. When working for pay, back-up is essential.

Iori, I agree with what you are saying about IS being useful in the longer focal lengths, but to say "the problem is further magnified 1.6-fold on a non-FF digital camera" is totally misleading.

The crop factor has nothing to do with the magnification of the image, you just see less of the image circle that is made by the lens.

Ryan, I think you know what I meant. One uses a telephoto zoom for the flexibility it offers. On a non-FF camera with the 1.6x crop factor, the 70-200 zoom effectively becomes a 112-320 lens; a range that makes the IS a must for most conditions required by the original poster. In the course of shooting in a fashion show or concert setting, it is not necessarily desirable or even possible to limit the zoom range to a handholdable range. Such use would in any event defeat the flexibility afforded by a zoom lens. Your argument is premised on shooting conditions where the object is static at a fixed distance so that the image size remains the same, in which case a more appropriate tool may be a fixed tele with an aperture larger than the 2.8.