to death. Anyway, I was wondering if Canon ever released an official reason

for its decision to discontinue the 1200mm. I would imagine that it was due

to low demand due to a freakishly high price. Is it still possible to special

order the thing from them by contacting them directly? I'm asking this solely

out of curiosity. I have no reason to own such a monstrous optic, and even if

I did I'm sure I couldn't come up with what they're charging. Anyway, if

anybody knows the answer off the top of their heads I'd appreciate them

sharing. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps I was being too hasty in assuming that the lens had officially been discontinued. I was basing that assumption on the fact that, as of a few months ago, the lens is no longer listed on Canon's USA website's list of Super Telephotos. Since it used to be listed along with the more conventional superteles (including specs and a description and all) I assumed Canon had decided not to offer it anymore. Could be wrong, of course. Maybe Canon assumes anyone who'd need it would already know of its existence by word of mouth or something.

I recall seeing allegations that use of leaded glass in the 1200 contributed to its discontinuation, but don't know how accurate they are. If I needed such a monster (and had the money), I'd be inclined to use a 600/4 lens with 2x tc and give up a stop in exchange for IS and a tremendous weight advantage.

<p>Canon, particularly Canon U.S., has a habit of having things silently disappear from their Web site. Sometimes this is done by mistake and sometimes it's a quiet way of saying a product has been discontinued. The Wikipedia article states that the lens has been discontinued but does not cite a source. The Canon Europe page listed in the Wikipedia article says it's an archived document, which suggests that the product is discontinued, but nowhere does it say explicitly that it's been discontinued. (And I do find it amusing that at the top of the Canon Europe page, this lens is listed as being "for home." Maybe they are suggesting that you trade one for the other.)</p>

<p>There is a European Union directive of some sort regarding phasing out of toxic materials such as lead in consumer products. Canon makes a point of noting the use of lead-free glass in many of their lenses, and so it's conceivable that this older model may have been phased out due to the use of leaded glass. Given the small production volumes, it may not have been feasible to reengineer it to use lead-free glass, although the same argument could be made that it didn't make sense to engineer this lens in the first place.</p>

One way to find out is to go to Photokina, where Canon has its entire lineup on display.

I was there last in 2002 and they had a well used 1200 you could attach your body to, as well as pristine versions of the 600 and shorter.

At the time you could special order one for $65,000. I doubt very many of these were made.

I doubt that any leaded glass in a 1200/5.6L is going to end up in a local landfill and contaminate the ground water.

Actually lead in glass is about as well contained as is possible. One of the ways they have of preventing radioactive materials from contaminating ground water if they bury them is to fuse them into a glass!

The last Canon lens catalog I have is dated 2004 and it's still listed there as "special order".

I understand that one solitary optical engineer/builder at Canon was responsible for making this lens, based on parts he would order once the money was on the table. When he was not working nothing happened ~ when he is/was, if he has not retired, he will lovingly build you one.

This may be urban myth but I read it maybe 10 years ago in Amateur Photopgrapher (UK weekly). Maybe he retired and nobody else rose to the challenge?