1. 645 pro body (if i never use sunpak/metz flashlight. is there any

reason for me to still go after the pro tl body for the ttl/otf

instead of regular 645 pro?)

2. waist level finder (probably the non metering, I could use the

difference toward a light meter).

3. a couple of 120 magazine and a couple more inserts

4. 80mm f/2.8 (i heard it's sharper than f/1.9 right? but since it's

already more difficult to get shallow DOF in medium format, it's

f/2.8 would be sufficient in case you need that shallow DOF?)

5. 150mm f/3.5 and maybe 45mm or 55mm somewhere down the road.

now, there are more questions regarding these accesories. 80mm and

150mm really comes at decent price, but what's the difference in the

n and non-n version? is it just the coating or there is something

else. and should i just go all the way with leaf shutter lens? it

seems to give me the high-speed shutter versatility of slr camera as

i think 1/60 sec max shutter speed of the body is too slow in a lot

of circumstances. also, the lens has this a n/l ls suffix, what's

that a and n/l stand for?

now the waist level finder, i notice at KEH some comes with mask and

some not. what's exactly is this mask and what is it for?

lastly, how about the power drive grip? how necessary is this as i

don't see any significant benefit other than single hand-holding (i

don't mind manually cocking leaf shutter lens). the power drive sv,

seems just about the right size, seems not as useful as the power

drive2 which seems a little too bulky for me. anybody has experience

with these two grips?

You should spend the extra money for an eye level prism, this will make vertical shooting

much easier. As for the Pro or ProTL, I would opt for the Pro TL for two reasons. First, all

ProTL's lock in at 1/60 for flash sync, and second they haven't been around as long so you

will be sure your getting a camera that's less than 6 years old.

The Powerdrive II is worth the extra as well. Nicely balanced and it's truly a must with the

leaf lenses.

The N lenses have better contrast . If you can swing the extra money, get the 55, 80 and

150 leaf lenses. They are the most versital for Portrait/Wedding work. KEH usually has

the best prices on them. I have seen them on ebay too.

I've been using the Mamiya 645 system since the early 80's and just finished refreshing

every thing to the N lenses and ProTL bodies in the past 4 years. It has been a very

reliable system and Mamiya service is excellent too.

Good Luck!

DOF is not a function of focal length, but of aperture and reproduction ratio.

The DOF with a medium format camera lens is the same as that of 35mm camera lens.

35mm with 80mm lens at f8 positioned to give 1.10 ratio will provide the same DOF as this lens used on MF under the same circumstances.

If you examine the DOF scale on a 50mm lens designed for 35mm cameras, it will be the same as the DOF scale on a 50mm lens designed for MF. (manufacturer's tolerances and allowances aside)

Collins, you are correct, but normal lens for the 645 format is 80mm. At f16 (Mamiya-Sekor N), DOF scale is appox. 4.5 feet to 6 feet, when focus is set at 5 feet. My 50mm lens (Pentax SMC Takumar) in 35mm format at f16, focus set at 5 feet, DOF is appox. 3.9 feet to 7 feet.

For Mr. Colin Elliot

Sorry for my typo, just realized I have misspeled your name.

For Mr. Steve Tenggala

I am very happy with the 645e. The meter is accurate! If you take photos of people, then the prism is the best way to go. Keep a 645e for backup, for your 645 Pro. Both will use the same inserts and lenses.

Hi Steve. I have both the f/2.8 and F/1.9 80mm lenses, and stop-for-stop they're pretty much equal in quality. Although some reviews say the f/1.9 is sharper, I can't agree, and I'd be extremely hard pushed to choose between them on image sharpness alone. Having said that, the f/1.9 gives a much brighter viewing image, and focuses much more positively. So if you can afford it, get the wider aperture.

WRT the older and newer (N) lenses: In my experience, the only real dog among the bunch is the older design 45mm lens - avoid it like the plague. The S or N version (same thing) not only gives better corner sharpness, it also has a slightly wider angle-of-view!

Hi Steve!<p>

I have already the 645 Pro (not TTL) for almost two years. Very satisfied. Especially at this time there are significiant rebattes from Mamiya (30th anniversaty or so). I have bought 35/3.5 for exampe at affordable price.<p>

This is maybe the most versatile MF system at all. There are leaf versions of the lenses, so you can use also a flash at practically any speed. About the motor drive: you don't need it actually. Except in two cases: for a cable realease or if you need a more convenient way to shut a portraits. The prism with exposure meter? I don't use it extensively. Of course, when you shut portraits... with a waist-level it is a pain. I don't think it meters very accurate, I have very good hand meter, so I use it even with a prism (if I have the time, of course).<p>

Last but not least the Mamiya 645 lenses are very affordable used. Not so sure about their quality, compared to Zeiss in Rolleiflex, but this should be more or less a personal taste.