Muir Woods or Armstrong Grove?

mcgarity

I have one day in Northern California to visit either Muir Woods or Armstrong

Grove. I have been close to both locations many times but have never explored

either. This may be my last chance to do so. Any information on the relative

merits of both would be greatly appreciated.

Muir Woods probably has more to offer photographically. It's proximity to Mount Tamalpais makes for more opportunities to get off the beaten track. But it will have more visitors.

Armstrong is very pretty too, but is more limited. The park has a large picnic area and theatre, plus a road goes right through the park.

Both places have trails that have fences so you are expected to remain on the trail and not step on the roots of the trees.

If your day is a weekend day, I would probably choose Armstrong, otherwise I would choose Muir Woods, and I live close to both.

Alan

I have spent many days over the past six months taking photographs in Muir Woods. The park opens at 8 am. It is a good idea to get there early to avoid over-contrasty light situations. It is best to go when it is overcast or foggy. The crowds are not a problem because they cannot get between you and your subjects. There is a small restaurant where you can get food and the restrooms are relatively clean.

Color temperature can change dramatically from one spot to another, so it is good to shoot in RAW or bring some means to assess color temp.

Take plenty of film or flash cards!