Recommendations for a decent 6x7

charon2112

I bought a Mamiya RB67 Prod SD last year and I really like it. Although some people will tell you it is too heavy, I am mainly a large format photographer and wanted something portable and easy to set up for more casual and candid situations (travel, family, etc.). Although it is not light, it suits me fine. There are lighter cameras, for sure, such as the Mamiya 7, but they are much more expensive and do not have interchangeable backs. If you are using this for landscape work, it should be no problem, although I would personally recommend going larger for landscape work (4x5 and up).

I got mine for about $1200, but this included a fairly recent RB67 Pro SD body, three lenses (90mm C series, 127 C series, and a 180 K series) and two backs (120, and a 120/220). There are even better deals out there now, but make sure you get the most recent model you can afford. These cameras often saw a LOT of mileage so do your homework.

Rick,

The good news is that all of the 6x7 systems out there work very well. I love the RZ but,

for something cheaper, I suggest you look at the Pentax 67. I guess, for landscapes, you

should look for a mirror up version. More good news is that lenses for the Pentax system

are some of the best priced in the market.

On the other hand, if you were looking for top, top quality you could go for a technical

camera and indulge yourself with movements and assorted Schneider and Rodenstocks

lenses. Trickier to use and more expensive to buy but fantastic results.

I've owned an RZ67II and Pentax 67II, but were i to buy a 6x7 for landscape work now, it would be the Mamiya 7II.

The RZ is just too large/heavy to travel comfortably with. The Pentax requires mirror damping techniques at certain speeds. The 7II rangefinder will be easier to get sharp results, with minimal back strain.... And, its lenses are supposed to be the sharpest of all medium format glass. I would think the only limitation would be the lens range, which is not very extensive in the telephoto area. And, i guess, if you don't like viewing through a rangefinder (and/or supplemental viewfinder for the very wide lenses).

I switched from RZPIIs to Mamiya 7IIs for reasons other than landscape shooting. If you're prone to using gradient filters, Mamiya 7 variants are not optimal. You really want SLRs.

RBs and RZs have terrific capaibilties for landscape- excellent 50mm and 65mm lenses, leaf shutters and fairly accurent viewfinders. But you have to be willing to lug them around with a sturdy tripod. This wasn't an issue for me as I've always believed in Edward Weston's tounge-in-cheek maxim, "(a)nything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic."

Another plug for the Mamiya 7II. I believe that with the 43mm lense, it is noticeably superior to RB/RZ as very few if any cameras/lenses can match that lense or the 905SWC it is modeled after. All the lenses in the range are super sharp, but that one in particular is amazing.

If you have other cameras, then this is a great option. If you don't the 7II might be too limiting as a single-camera solution, its definitely not an SLR.

Reasonably priced MF.

Depends on if you want a rangefinder or an slr

Not exactly reasonable but my choices from top to bottom

RF.........

Mamiya 7

followed by

Mamiya 6 - 6x6 format

Fuji G690BL - 6x9

Fuji g645 - 645 format, but AF and AE - basically a 645 P+S - probably the least expensive

There are a few more good ones also.

SLR

Fuji gx680 - 6x8 format - movements - if you can handle a 10# camera

Mamiya RZ67 and a 50mm ULD lens - 6#

Rollei sl66 - 6x6 format - a little lighter, but has tilt and superb Rollei lenses.

Kowa super 66 - 6x6 format - cheapest of the bunch and decent lenses.

As you can see I like chimney viewfinders. If not you may want a Pentax 67II and some of the latest APO lenses.

You might want to look around here.

http://www.dantestella.com/technical.html

and here

http://medfmt.8k.com/

"As you can see I like chimney viewfinders. If not you may want a Pentax 67II and some of the latest APO lenses."

The Pentax 67 is a system camera which can use either a "chimney" WLF or a prism. Like you, I prefer the chimney type with my Pentax 67.

Well, for landscape work I think 6x9 would be better than 6x7. On the other hand, if you have or like to do landscapes, be prepared to hike a lot. Therefore, I believe a rangefinder should be lighter and more suitable than a SLR. Secondly, it depends on what you call "reasonably priced". With that in mind, and having had similar needs, some time ago I chose a Fujica G690BL (with interchangeable lenses). The lenses are not easy to find, but it's a very high quality and really trustworthy system.

The Reasonably-priced category is broad, dependant upon your definition of 'reasonable'. I assume you want a fairly modern camera with, at least, coated lenses. Starting with most bang for your buck I would include Koni Omegas, Mamiya Press, 23, Super 23 and Universal

(avoid beat-up 90mm, 100 f/3.5 and try to find 10-element 50mm or 7-element 75mm Mamiya Sekors. They are outstanding. Late 65mm is OK, too. Konis have the Simmon Bros' articulated pressure plate and hold film much flatter than Mamiya backs. Not so critical in 6x7, as it is in 6x9 work. 58mm or 60mm Hexanons for Konis are as sharp as anything our there. Yes, I've owned the Mamiya 7 with 43mm lens and it is perhaps 5% better in resolution than the wide Hexanons. A lot better in backlit scenes, as one would expect from modern multi-coated design, but NOT $1,000 better! The Pentax SMC lenses for 6x7 are excellent for contrast and freedom from flare and ghosting and, as everyone has pointed out, can be gotten quite reasonably on internet auctions. A few minor cleaning scratches on the front element is not noticeable in pictures, but a nick or scratch on the rear element of a wide angle lens is not good. Also, if a seller says that ding on the filter ring, barrel or rear flange won't affect

lense performance, he or she is wrong. Most lenses are housed in aluminum cylinders which have to be machined to microns tolerance to maintain centering of all the elements. If an impact is hard enough to deform tempered aluminum, the light path will almost always be displaced. Purchase dinged lenses with the proviso that you can return them, if a collimiter test at your repair facility shows displacement. Pentax 67 needs mirror lock-up at 1/15 and below, because mirror mechanism shakes camera slightly. Another alternative is to go to a press or view camera and roll-film back. It's slower than the SLR 6x7 but you get to compose on ground glass and have full control of depth of field and perspective. That's what I do and wow my audiences with slides up to 71x87mm through Leitz glass on medium-format Linhof and Beseler projectors. I've included a shot from one of my Brooks Veri-Wides. Its 47mm f/8 Super-Angulon holds its own with any modern lens. Have fun!<div>00HXZN-31551284.thumb.jpg.60d318cfd6082d2f5555ca7b8c3e9e16.jpg</div>