Classic SLR?

zdenek

Hello

"Nikon was the only producer of classic SLRs" Hmmmm! there have been plenty of Classic SLRs in the past from the likes of Pentax, Olympus etc...

Modern day classics? I believe that Voigtlander have brought out a SLR callled the Bressaflex but not sure what mount it uses or there is always the Lieca R system but these are not fully manual cameras.

As for Nikon mount machines, nope, if you wish to add to or replace your FM3a then it is mooching around the 2nd hand markets of which there are plenty of bargins to be had...

HTH

Nick

As far as I know there only two manufactures of manual focus SLR left in the market, Cosina and Leica.

Cosina: Voigtlander Bessaflex TM (full metal good camera), Voigtlander VSL 43 (a cheap camera) and Nikon FM-10 (a cheap Nikon). The last two are sold with the 35-70mm zoom made by Cosina.

Leica: Leica R9 (great camera that can use film or a digital back).

If I were you I would look for a new in stock Nikon FM3a. They are still easy to find in many websites. It is a great camera.

I may be "tarred and feathered" for saying this, but Canon and Olympus also made what would be considered classic SLRs...the Canon AE-1 comes to mind, Canon TX and FTb, and Olympus OM series. Look them up. My favorite website for reading about the classics (Nikon and others) is the Photography in Malaysia site at http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/photography.htm.

However, being in this forum, like others, Nikon is my favorite. I'd consider the Nikon F (I have one and love it) and F2 really classic SLRs. It is truly unfortunate that Nikon phased out the FM3a in favor of the really cheap (and Cosina-made) FM10...I hope they bring back the FM3a. You can say that these film cameras are casualties of the digital era. I don't believe that there are any classic digital SLR cameras as of yet, due to the obsolescence factor and their more disposable nature. That is, if a digital camera breaks down, it tends to be cheaper to throw it out and get a more recent model instead of repair in most cases.

eBay is probably one of the best bets for the classic SLRs and probably the best place is KEH.com.

Hi Zdenek,

Gutsy post...but at least it was in the Nikon Forum! (And so far, the responses have been nicely measured.)

The Canon FT-QL comes to mind as an old classic SLR with a ruggedness and heft like the great Nikon F (I have one in each hand now, just to compare). Also, the Topcon line of SLRs had a rugged, machine-like quality, with superb optics AND a swappable line of eyepiece modules. (I wish I could snag one of their "magnifying chimney eyepieces" for a song on e*ay...but they're still TOO much in-demand!)

Konica also comes to mind as a maker of some very fine older rangefinders, SLRs, and lenses.

As has been said, there's always "new old stock" at the larger camera stores.

Sincerely,

Dave

<i>"Those who spend $800 on FM3a on eBay are not using them to take pictures. :-)"</i><br><br>

The same might be said about those who spend $500 on a 50/1.4 ZF ;)<br><br>

I use mine-- a lot. I am thinking about getting another one, but $800? geez.

Hi, Zdenek. It's still possible take the FM3A new. The classic camera manufacturer are:

1) Leica (M7 and MP in 35 mm rangefinder class, R9 in the SLR 35 mm class).

2) Rollei (Rolleiflex FX and FW 4.0 in 6x6 TLR class and Rolleiflex 6008 in 6x6 SLR class).

3) Voigtlaender/Cosina (R3A and R2A in the 35 mm rangefinder class, Bessaflex TM in 42x1 thread mount SLR 35 mm class).

4) Hasselblad (503 CW in 6x6 SLR class and H1/H2 in 4,5x6 SLR class).

5) Mamiya (AF 645 in 4,5x6 SLR class, RZ67 in 6x7 SLR class, 7II in the 6x7 rangefinder class).

6) Carl Zeiss AG (Zeiss Ikon ZM in the 35 mm rangefinder class).

7) Phenix (DN60 with Nikon AI mount, DC303K in Pentax K mount).

The rest it's available in the second hand market.

Ciao

Vincenzo Maielli