best flash for ceremonies

Maybe a Canon 580EX Speedlite on each body and a slave, e.g., a 430EX somewhere in the scrum? Appropriate diffusers are nice to have, even something as simply as a Sto-fen Omnibounce when you don't want or cannot bounce your flash.

Is it time to post another image of the Flash Man? LOL.

How about no flash?? Most churches won't allow flash during ceremonies. In that case you'll need some fast lenses and fast film. Or high ISO's. Or a tripod. There's lots of ways to get good pictures without flash. Sorry. I guess I'm not answering your question. I use a 580EX flash on my 20D. I don't use a bracket. I try to bounce and foof whenever possible. For formals I like to put the LSII on and I use a tripod. Actually, I like to use the fong dong a lot. I almost never have the top on it and I bounce it. For some reason today I am sounding like a second grader. Sorry.

Most people will tell you to get the 580EX and learn to work with it with the 20D. The combo does have it's quirks. But it is a workable combo. Some people don't like ETTL and prefer an auto thyristor flash, claiming more consistent exposures. This might work for you if you have problems with the 580EX, but I'd try the 580EX first. A good flash that has ETTL and auto thyristor is the Metz 54MZ-4, although it has it's own quirks too. As for plain auto thyristor flashes, the old Vivitar 285 is a good one. Big difference in cost between the 580EX/Metz 54 and the Vivitar.

In any case, be sure to read and understand the article at photonotes.org/eosflash and the article on on-camera flash at planetneil.com.