What not to wear...ON A HOT DAY... shooting my 1st wedding.

jewelsharrell

So basically I am doing the whole 1st wedding thing (although I think I know

enough to where I know I am not quailified in terms of skill or equipment to

be doing this, I've informed the Bride on this, she still wants me... so here

I go)! But I live in a cool/warm climate. The weather for her wedding is a

predicted 95 degrees, and the wedding will be from 2pm on. (The hottest part

of the day). I have the basic idea for clothing: black pants, shirt, quiet

shoes, but would a nice pair of shorts/capri's be bad? Any other advice...

I'm thinking about wearing my Chacos (sandals)and a tank top (modest)? Is

that inapropriate? What is your best attire advice for HOT non-air-

conditioned conditions for a first time wedding photographer!

Thanks,

jewels

Get clothes that wick away moisture. Don't eat salty foods for a couple of days before the

shoot or you may have salt stains on your clothes.

Black pants and a nice summer weight white top with sleeves is appropriate (depending on

the degree of formality of the wedding itself). Sandals will murder your legs and feet IMO.

Above all wear sensible shoes that provide ample support.

Jewels,

In my opinion, always look Professional. The least I choose to wear is a sport jacket, white shirt and tie. My first contact with everbody, Pastor, church coordinator, B&G and so on I'm in the shirt tie and jacket. When it is hot or I have been moving around a lot I shed the jacket except for the ceremony. Take a dozen cold bottles of water in a cooler. Remember your appearance is an advertisement. A lot of your future business will come from the weddings you photograph. Always look professional, first impressions are everything.

Good shooting to ya !!

Merle

A bit more formal yet simple like Marc described would be best.

My suggestion would be to plan an extra set of clothing to have ready just in case you need them. You problably won't but it's nice to have an extra shirt/blouse and pants along for ease of mind and it's so easy to prepare and store in the vehicle.

Sun/skin: do you need shade or sunblock "stuff" if it's an out of doors wedding.

Feet: be sure shoes are comfortable for hours on end.

Keep hydrated: drink water when possible; you'll be so busy you'll forget to do it but you might ask someone to bring you a bottle of water at times if possible; it's not just a good thing: it's important.

btw, (off your topic but important) the heat on a hot day can be tough on camera equipment that is not of the best quality when be used for any significant durations of time (like a wedding); I mention this Only to inform and prepare you.

Do 'em proud and stay Cool! Good Luck!

Death Valley was 128 today! Hope no one worked that area. Anyway drink water of course, a white shirt is nice for outside, but have a dress coat for the church and the reception. We wear tux's for all weddings, I think it gives us a good solid professional look. For me the sodas don't work, only water.

Also tell the bridal party to stay away from the hard stuff, mainly the guys, before the wedding and drink 2 glasses of water. I've seen few pass out.

My 'uniform' is black shoes, black socks, black trousers and dark (black) pref short sleeve

shirt. IMO, black is less conspicous and less likely to attract comment and it is less likely

to show grass stains as I get on my knees if necessary.

A change of socks 2-3 hours in make you feel fresh again and a fresh shirt if you've been

perspiring.

I avoid a tie completely as it gets wrapped up in straps, but will wear a fly collar dress shirt

if it's formal and isn't too hot and a suit jacket if it is cool.

Appropriate attire is relative to what primarily the guests at the wedding will be wearing; the objective is to "fit in". What guests wear depends on a number of things such as: region, location of ceremony and reception and price range of the wedding.

Unless it's a Pool Party Wedding, shorts and a tank top probably wouldn't be my first choice for an outfit.

"but would a nice pair of shorts/capri's be bad? " Yes. Can you say UNPROFESSIONAL?

It's your first wedding and will be your last if you think you're going to show up in shorts and a tank-top. Did you just fall off the turnip truck? Come on. You are hired help. Supposedly a proffesional. Thats another story, but you need to dress and act like it.

How would you want a member of your wedding party to dress for your wedding? Slacks and nice blouse. Put on a cotton T or tank-top underneat the wick the sweat. Your getting paid to do this. You're getting paid to be a proffessional. Be a proffessional.

I'd pick full length pants, made from light fabric and a real shirt. Toe revealing sandals are a absolute NO, NO for a serving professional!

Due to the weather I might select sand colored stuff and brown shoes as a exception.

Shooting under hot conditions I need at least t-shirt sleeves to wipe my sweating head. I can't get along with jackets all day, because I need a vest to hold all my spare lenses and stuff, but I'd bring one to wear it at least during the cermony, if necessary.

If you annoy guests by arriveing underdressed, you'll have to be covincingly really damn good to get any follow up jobs.

The rules for women are different than for men in my opinion. I'm assuming you mean dressy shorts which are trendy nowadays...nice fabric cut like trousers, but they come down to your knees? I wouldn't wear those to shoot a wedding, but I think dressy capris would be fine or gauchos. I wear Dansko sandles to shoot during the summer and am very comfortable. I don't wear tank tops, but think a conservative one would be okay and I'd bring a jacket or nice sweater to wear over it if the reception is indoors.

We're in a run of 99 degree weather here in the deep south and I can honestly say there's no way I'd wear basic black to a wedding, particularly if I'm working outdoors. For the summer I've dropped the coat and tie as well. It's not just uncomfortable, it's unhealthy. I'm wearing lighter color kahkis and button downs, no jacket or tie. It's easy to dress well and professionally and not be miserable at the same time. It's bad enough when the wedding party starts to pass out, the hired help doesn't need to do the same. Stay hydrated and be smart about it. Tank tops and shorts, probably not. You'll figure out a sort of uniform for working weddings after you've done a few.

As an aside for those who are repelled by such casual wear, we have a local pro who has a sort of trademark of wearing flip flops to everything, weddings, reunions, whatever. His literature at one time advertised an extra charge if he was required to wear actual shoes. Don't know if he ever collected on it. Three guesses the name of the business......

Rick H.

Natural fiber fabrics are cooler. I think women can get away with no jacket and an open collar blouse in situations when a guy is jacket and tie, lucky you! Dark colored long pants so you can get on your knees if required. I don't agree with wearing a tux unless it's a black tie afair. Don't think of yourself as "hired help". That's a description of the serving staff at the reception. You're a professional and need to boss people around at times to get the photos you need. You'll get more respect if you dress and act that way. If you have long hair keep it pulled back one way or another. A few safety pins and hair pins in your kit might really endear you to your subjects in "emergencies". Since womens' clothes are notorious for lacking pockets you might consider a belt pouch for spare batteries, film if you're using it, lipstick and whatnot rather than carrying the big shoulder bag the whole time that you likely have for spare lenses, extra camera, etc. Good luck!

Light tan trousers and a grey 'golf-type' shirt with buttons: if you 'sweat,' the shirt won't look as bad as anything black and 45 minutes into the wedding. Any chance you can have the 'location' put a couple of fans in the room? Any movement of air will be good for the bride-and-groom, along with the photographer.

And you may have to go slow with your shooting as your flash could overheat and become un-co-operative during your shoot of the wedding.

1. Buy a pair of dressy sandals, nothing with a heel, and preferably something that looks

more like a dress flat than a flip-flop!

2. Select a light-weight silk-like sleeveless shirt; this will keep your arms cool AND look

dressy. Just be sure it flows away from your body and ISN'T a tank top!

3. Wear loose slacks in a summer-weight.

4. Be sure your clothes fit well and flatter you! An expensive outfit that's too tight or too

short will just look cheap and unprofessional. You don't want to draw attention to yourself

in any way, so be aware of what works on your body.

Good luck!

I second the dressy gouchos but no on the shorts and tank top. A short sleeve or 3/4 sleeve dressy blouse. and most important: COMFORTABLE SHOES, but dressy looking or plain black, NOT sandals. Do put hair up if long, and careful with makeup and sunscreen, they melt off and get on the camera.

And remind yourself and everyone in wedding party to drink water water water!

Good luck.

I would second the shoes suggestion. I find that one thing the most important.

I live in Denver area and shot downtown this past w/end in 105 degrees. It's dry here though so the perspiration is less of an issue. I wore long black dress pants, dark grey shirt (long sleved) and a white vest.

My assistant (as he often does) shot a shot of me shooting the reception indoors and air conditioned thankfully...<div>00HKv8-31250284.thumb.jpg.b020a3fe990d9b3ad6883e99bba73dfb.jpg</div>

The rule of thumb is to wear clothes at the level of casualness of the family members and guests and that are appropriate to the event. If the weddng is on the beach and all the guests are wearing shorts and aloha shirts, you'd look pretty silly wearing attire 4 steps higher in formality, especially if you are choking in the heat. If on this same beach wedding, the bride and groom are wearing the traditional white gown and tux, and the wedding party traditional gowns and tuxes, I might think twice about wearing casual clothes. If you look good in a tank top (the majority of women don't look like fashion models), AND it fits the level of formality/casualness of the wedding, then fine. I personally am conservative and usually wear a short sleeve black cotton top that breathes, a black skirt that covers my knees and sensible shoes. I wear a jacket when it gets cooler. I wear this outfit even in high heat, and do OK. The important thing is to monitor yourself and hydrate. It will be self defeating to collapse from heat stroke, and it is all too easy to forget how miserbly hot you are in fast moving events. Sandals wouldn't provide me with enough support for being on my feet x hours during the day, but it could be different for you. That's the thing--you have to figure out what works for you. A note--if you are a young, attractive female, be careful how much of yourself you reveal as well as the kind of clothes you choose. Unfortunately, there will be times where you will get unwanted attention from "gentlemen", especially if they are drinking. You don't need that extra distraction while working.

Being the fashion plate that I am.. hahaha, I wear black tux pants, black tux shirt, and black sneakers. I only wear a coat in cold weather, otherwise in upstate NY, like this past weekend, it gets hot and very humid.. 90+ with dew point at 70 this weekend. Talk about tropical, but without the cool ocean breeze.

<BR><BR>

And I concur on the cut back on salt if especially if you wear black, I usually bring another shirt to change at the reception because I just look at the sun and sweat.

<BR><BR>

Bob

I dress the same as David W., but sometimes, like my last two weddings in hot, muggy, 90 degree weather, I go from long sleeves to short sleeves. My pants are black though.

However, the shoes I have been wearing are very nice dress shoes, but they are not cut out for all day standing, running and squatting. My feet and legs are very wore out by the end of the day. As a matter of fact, the legs are still a bit tight and sore from Saturday's wedding. I know it's a personal pref, but any suggestions on the types of shoes that will be alot more comfortable for a photographers feet/legs? Thanks Jeff

Shoes - more important than the lens ! :-)

I've shot in dress shoes and gone home limping. I've shot in my best leather and not been

prepared to scratch the uppers on the gravel.

My favourite are ECCO City shoes with a leather lining. Double thick air sole and shock

absorber in the heels. Can wear them all day and good for standing at exhibitions.

Smart enough, just, but not too expensive o worry about if scraped.

Socks add a lot oto comfort and the New Zealand Merino wool socks are excellent. They

come in a variety of weights to suit he application. The shirts made of merino are wicking

and good too.

"Toe revealing sandals are a absolute NO, NO for a serving professional!"

where YOU live. in many cultures and locations around the world your statement may read as offensive or ignorant (or both).

appropriate attire will be dictated by the event, the culture and the individual clients, not a bunch of people on the internet.

I happen to wear chacos when I shoot weddings. they're extremely comfortable, cool, and they can get wet (beach weddings). I also wear shorts. in my market, shooting the weddings and events that I do this is appropriate.

only you can know what's appropriate in your own market.

cheers

Thanks guys. I will check into the Ecco shoes. I recently started to wear "Under Armor" tight fitting, sleeveless, undershirts for the wicking away moisture ability and they are awesome! Made it feel as though a cool breeze was blowing under my dress shirt. Anyone else wear those? I use to have sweat show on my dress shirt, but not while wearing those. I will not do another wedding without having one on.