D2x/D2xs vs. D200 - Image quality

pallet fork

Personally I don't see much difference between the two, shooting RAW. Colors are maybe a little more pleasing out of the D200. Both have plenty of resolution. The D200 may get a slight nod for noise too, but frankly I don't think either has objectionable noise, though I rarely go above ISO 800. When I have it is an issue that's easily handled with Noiseware, though in B&W it's just grain, which I often find desirable. I don't notice any difference in dynamic range but I haven't really done anything to study that. I like both cameras, and have no probs switching bodies during a shoot-it's seamless.

Both my d2x&dxs are sharper than my d200 using the same lens.The d2x &d2xs must be underexposed a minimum of .5 stop to avoid highlight blowout.The d2xs metering appears to underexpose to prevent highlight blowout.The d200 is much less likely to lose highlights and produces an image that does not reguire "hq" D lighting.

THE D2Xs NEF'S CAN BE PROCESSED USING CAPTURE 4.4 OR DXO RAW CONVERSION BY REMOVING THE "S" FROM THE CAMERA DESCRIPTION IN THE NEF FILE. I HAVE A PROGRAM THAT WILL REMOVE OR RESTORE THE "S" TO 400 NEF FILES PER SECOND.CAPTURE 4.4 IS CURENTLY THE ONLY PROGRAM THAT WILL PROCESS LARGE NUMBERS OF NEF FILES RAPIDLY.GARY bequip@pacbell.net